Reload this Page >

Turkey or Turkey & Rhodes? Help us decide by Jan 6

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 06:02 AM
joan

My husband and I have been to Greece several times, traveling on accumulated miles and we are now planning our next big trip for June. He feels safe in Greece and is reluctant to go to Turkey but has agreed to see Istanbul, drive down the coast and take a ferry to Rhodes, flying home out of Athens. I, having read lots of posting on Turkey, feel we will be missing out if we don't spend the entire 12 days in Turkey. Based on what I've read I would like to spend several days in Istanbul, fly on to Cappadocia, rent a car, spend a day or 2 in that area, head south to the Mediterranean coast and then drive up the Aegean coast and depart out of Istanbul. If you have travelled recently in Turkey and/or Rhodes and have an opinion on safety, road conditions, great hotels, and this itinerary in general, please let us know by Jan 6 when we must confirm our travel plans or lose our reservations. THANKS!!!

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 06:24 AM
Deb

Joan, I was in Rhodes and Turkey this summer. I traveled alone most of the time and never felt threatened although at times I felt uncomfortable in the sulthanhmet area of Istanbul but just because of being watched. I suppose that was just because of being a blonde woman traveling alone. Nobody gave me a second look in the Taxsim area of Istanbul. <BR>I greatly preferred Turkey over Rhodes and Cappadocia was my favorite. That area is so beautiful and is great for exploring. I would suggest hiring a guide for part of a day for them to show you the caves as well as areas on the outskirts you would never find on your own. I don't see myself going back to Rhodes but I would do Turkey again in heartbeat.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 06:29 AM
Patrick

I agree totally with your plan, joan. I'd skip Rhodes and do just as you suggested, staying in Turkey. It's not worth going over to Rhodes for less than three days or so, which would certainly cut short your time in Turkey. We did what you suggest -- started in Turkey, flew to Keyseri (Cappodocia) rented a car and drove to Antalya and up the coast. We ended in Kusadasi and then on to Samos and other islands -- but spend over three weeks just doing what you are suggesting in 12.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 08:27 AM
sinan

Here is the scheledue you may continue.<BR>After Rhodes (you will arrive to Kusadasi 11.30AM or 7.30PM) you may stay in Kusadasi to see the Ephesus and other place then drive Pamukkale for 2 days then fly to Istanbul from Izmir. You can fly to Kayseri for your CAPPADOCIA tour then drive to ANTALYA. After Antalya you can fly to Istanbul<BR><BR>Have a nice trip in Turkey<BR><BR>Sinan

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 11:27 AM
murat

Hi again Joan !<BR><BR>I suggest to check out the trip report written in the forum on 2nd. december.<BR><BR>I truly enjoyed reading...<BR><BR>regards,<BR><BR>

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Len Gow

The best reason to go to Rhodes is to catch the boat or hydrofoil to the island of Symi. Worth staying a few days when you are ready for a breay from travelling. Lindos in Rhodes is the most Greek looking town and staying in that area.<BR><BR>Turkey was a great surprise. Memories of Midnight Express had put me off but the coastal drives were stunning. The Turks were friendly - no problems at all. <BR><BR>If I had to choose - it would be spend the time in Turkey. I hired a car and drove and again - as long as you ain't in a hurry you can explore how you like and go at your own pace. It's a BIG country so better choosing one area and stiking to it.