Itinerary help for december 08!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello my husband, our two kids (21 and 19)and I would like to go to Turkey in December and have about 19 days.
Any suggestions on where to go and stay, Should we hire a guide or not etc. In short any information would be really appreciated.
Thank you!
Old May 19th, 2008, 08:53 AM

Turkey is such a fabulous country and there is SOO much to see and do.

My first suggestion is to search this forum for posts related to Turkey. Then I would get a guide book on Turkey (local library should have one0 and read up to see what interests you. YOu could also check out the TurkeyTravelPlanner website (I think that's the name) for some great info and itineraries.

I have been 3 times and we were ALMOST going to go in a couple of weeks for a 4th trip - but we have decided against it due to time constraints! Quite a bummer.....but we're doing Prague instead - so that should be fun!

Old May 19th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Grcxx3!

Since you have been there so many times and seem to know and love it, given 19 days where would you go for the first visit? : )

Old May 19th, 2008, 09:06 AM

oh golly - just as a start....(not considering travel/ jet lag days!)...

- plan on at least 3-4 days in Istanbul. It's easy to spend more there - but that should give you a good taste. Shoot - I could spend a whole day in the Grand Bazaar.....

- Cappadocia - I have only been there once, but I think 2-3 days is minimal to really see the area. Others can add their thoughts!!!

- Kusadasi - 1-2 days mainly to see Ephesus and the related sites (House of the Virgin Mary, St. John Basillica). Yes - this can all be done in 1 day - but relax and enjoy it a little

- Pammukule - 1 day, some people think it's not worth it, but I think the travertine mineral deposits in the hot springs are worth seeing (Okay - I'm a geologist - so this thing really interests me!!!)

- Aprhodesius - often added in with the above, this is a beautiful Roman ruin, different than Ephesus

- Bodrum - people have mixed feelings about this place. Very touristy, but a great Crusader castle and nice harbor area

That is a start - I know others will add more. Maybe you could do a 2-3 day gullet trip. We haven't done that - only because my older son gets sea sick!!!!!
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, your suggestions sound like a great option for us. I am definitely going to plan a full day at the Grand Bazaar, my 19 yr old daughter will probably never want to leave!
I also checked the ttp site you recommended and got lost in it, there is so much information.
Wow,I am so excited...I am going to go ahead and make reservations etc..
thanks a bunch...: )
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Grcxx3, have a wonderful time in Prague!