Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Appropriate attire 2nd wk of June in Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suspect even in hot weather, as in most of Europe, you wouldn't want to wear shorts even if nice ones like my husbands nice silk golf shorts for say a trip to the outter islands.. We will be eating lunch out at Al Ponte del Diavolo and then to da Faffael and Fiashetteria Tosacano. And then with me, perhaps coulot pants with sandles???
Old May 16th, 2008, 09:51 AM
J62

In my opinion you suspect wrong. Wear what you want. Nobody except the person in the mirror really gives a flip what you wear. (the exception being if you plan to visit churches)

No matter what you are wearing there will be many people more dressed up, and many more people dressed down.

My experience with Venice is that the large influx of cruise ship passengers dumps a lot of tourists in shorts, tank tops/t-shirts, and flip flops into town - seems to be more casual than Rome or Florence.

Old May 16th, 2008, 11:30 AM

We were in Venice last week and found the dress there and in all of Italy we visited, including Florence, more casual than I had anticipated. Tourists(including Italian tourists)are everywhere and are wearing jeans, shorts, etc. The residents do dress better, some very elegantly, but I always had to take my comfortable shoes into consideration and wear what looked okay with them. We were on our feet all day every day for three weeks and could not have done it without comfortable, not stylish, shoes.
Old May 16th, 2008, 11:49 AM

I was very prepared for heat during our June trip a couple of years ago, but was very unprepared for the cool weather we had (in the 60s.) The thing about Venice is that it has every designer botique in the world, but no regular stores (in the parts of town that tourists frequent.) So bring one warm thing, just in case.
Old May 16th, 2008, 11:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've been to Venice twice, both happened to be in July/August and it was HOT. I don't know how fancy those restaurants you mention are.

But for the casual places we ate and walking around the city I did wear a nice outfit with long shorts (knee length) or capris and sandals.
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:07 PM

For what its worth - on our last trip to venice in sept 07, i wore knee length shorts or a knee length khaki skirt with short sleeve tops, or lightweight sweater twin sets - the cardigan could go over any top and was handy for evenings and churches that required covered shoulders. DH wore knee length or cargo shorts (longer ones however). Both wore either comfortable walking shoes (I did give in and take two pairs of shoes this trip). We saw tourists from cruise ships in St Mark's Square in short shorts, tank tops, halter tops, pareo's, etc who looked very out of place. Not all were english speaking so I can't point the finger as many like to do at American tourists. We did not take any denim on this trip - simple reasons - its heavy, doesn't dry easily or quickly and takes up too much room in a suitcase.
Old May 18th, 2008, 01:07 PM

Hi,

I once went to Venice the first week of July and, at least, most tourists were dressed casually. I do remember seeing a couple of tourists who were dressed so formally that they totally seemed out of place.

I usually wear shorts, sandals and a t-shirt when I go to Italy. I personally want to be comfortable when I'm on a trip speacially in summer with all the strolling around.

Castellanese.
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone....seems much more casual then France/Paris....which we will be traveling to from Venice, in fact. I never saw shorts in Paris when I was there....Thank you...all!