10 Day Choice

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 02:17 PM
Merri

10 Day Choice

Going for 10 days in November - Considering England, Wales, Scotland - or England, Wales, Southern Ireland - or all of the above. Willing to do part car and part train - don't want to scour every area but get a good feel (see a castle ot two, maybe a light house) and then decide which areas we like to see in greater detail for a future trip.<BR><BR>Thoughts on what's doable??

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 04:14 PM
suzanne

I doubt you could do both. I did a whirlwind 14-day trip from southern Ireland to Wales to England a few years ago (when I was 27)...it was wonderful, but BELIEVE me, it was whirlwind!<BR><BR>There's just so much to see in Ireland, even just the southern half! We spent 10 days there, and mainly just went along the west coast, hitting the different towns. We only had 1 day to spend in Dublin - wish we had more. While in Ireland we drove roughly 4 hours a day...it was a lot. With the windy, narrow roads, unpredictable weather, and occasional sheep crossings, it takes an awfull long time to get from point A to point B there.<BR><BR>So...with 10 days in Ireland, that only left 2 days for Wales, 1 day for Stonehenge and Bath, and 1 day to get to London to the airport. It was a great trip, but sometimes I think, "what were we thinking?" as it was so rush-rush we hardly had a second to relax!

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 06:28 PM
Natasha

Hi, we did Edinburgh Scotland, London (and a couple smaller places) England and Paris France in 10 days once. We had an awesome trip but regretted not doing Ireland because it's harder to fit into another trip. Think about what you will do in the future and what will be easiest to pick up on the next trip - we decided later that we should have done Ireland and saved Paris. Just enjoy what you decide though, we did and now we're heading back to catch Ireland.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 07:04 PM
Amy

I have never been to Wales, but I have been to Scotland, England and Ireland more than once. I absolutely love Ireland. It is beautiful and the people are very friendly. My favorite parts are Cashel and the ring of Kerry. The ring of Kerry (which I suggest renting a car and doing it backwards, ie against the flow of the tourists) is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been in my life. <BR><BR>My favorite place in England is the Lake District, Windamere, Grasmere, Keswick, etc. I stayed in Grasmere and Keswick. This is also a great region and very beautiful with great B&Bs. Good hiking in this region. I also liked York, England for its history.<BR><BR>I liked London and especially Edinburgh (I am of Scottish decent), but I shy away from big cities on trips to Europe, I prefer to see the backroads and small towns. <BR><BR>Hope that helps, Have a great time and take lots of film.<BR>

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 08:46 PM
janis

Important to remember that the days are short in November and the weather is VERY iffy. So you will not have 10 full days. The first day is travel to, and the last day is travel home so you are actually looking a 8+ days. Bearing that in mind I would choose ONE place -- Ireland, or England or Scotland or Wales. <BR><BR>Either spend the entire time in Ireland OR you could squeeze in a short visit to London and 5 or 6 days in any of the other UK countries. <BR>

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 04:42 AM
xxx

We spent 14 days in England and Wales and did not even begin to scratch the surface of all we wished to do.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:15 AM
nora

For only ten days I would stick to Wales, Scotland, and England. The south of Ireland if not flying takes two days of travel to and fro and with ten days, stick to the same island. However I would recomend cuting it down to two areas and giving each more time to see what you like and if you want to plan a future trip to that area.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 05:06 AM
Colin

You could incorporate Ireland as a day trip from Wales. (just a suggestion)<BR><BR>An early morning ferry service from Holyhead will take you to Dublin for an excellent full day, returning late evening.It'll give you a taster of Ireland. <BR>

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 05:39 AM
Rex

&lt;&lt;get a good feel and then decide which areas we like to see in greater detail for a future trip&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>I actually love making this kind of trip. It takes away a lot of pressure to know that you are assessing places with the goal of coming back. And despite how good the internet is - - this is really valuable for collecting ideas, literature and visual images from places that are not well represented here in cyberspace.<BR><BR>If I were doing exactly what you're describing, I would go for four days in England (two 2-day clusters), three in Scotland and three in (the republic of)Ireland. Or cut one (or two) day(s) somewhere to give to a side foray into Wales.<BR><BR>I think this kind of exploration can fill you with inspiration for a half dozen follow-up trips.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>