Ireland

Dec 22nd, 2003, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Ireland

My husband, my kids (20, 13) and I intend to spend about 12 days in Great Britain next summer. I have no idea if Ireland has beutiful places to visit, or we'd better just visit England and Scotland. I've just begun my research about this trip, so I know my question is too vague. Any advise about Great Britain will be very wellcome. We intend to rent a car. THanks.
Dec 22nd, 2003, 08:31 AM

Indeed Ireland is loaded with great and beautiful places to visit, but with 12 days, you won't have enough time to see all of England and Scotland much less visit Ireland.

I suggest slowing down and not trying to see everything in 12 days. With that amount of time, I would see England or Scotland, but not both. Yes, you could probably see bits and pieces of both but that wouldn't be my choice. You could perhaps see SW England then up to Wales and see where it goes from there. I loved visiting York and the little town of Tadcaster, which is known for, among other things, Samuel Smith's Beer. Ahhhh, this may be the finest beer in the world especially when purchased nearby. Sorry, my mouth is starting to water and it isn't noon yet.

Whatever you do, have fun!!

Bill
Dec 22nd, 2003, 01:06 PM

The two most scenic areas for me are the Dingle Peninsula and the Ring of Kerry. The Cliffs of Moher are a close 3rd, and all three are noteworthy.
The problem with the bus tour we took was far too little time for wandering!
It was little more than a drive by.

I would like to go back some day on a slower paced excursion.
Dec 22nd, 2003, 04:07 PM

Yes, Ireland has many beautiful places to visit but I wouldn't try and do three countries in 12 days. I wouldn't even do two countries, unless I was pretty sure this was the only time I was ever going to go there. And if that were true, I'd pick England and Ireland.
Dec 22nd, 2003, 06:03 PM

If you "have no idea if Ireland has beautiful places to visit" then you need to do some basic research. Start with a trip to your local Barnes and Noble bookstore (or library) and spend a few hours with some books - preferably with photos and get an idea of the kinds of places you are drawn to. There are plenty of internet sites to browse also that might get you started. World is Round, Virtual tourist, and planetware are all good. I have some of my travel photos of England and Ireland at pbase.com/annforcier. That might get you thinking of whether or not you want to include Ireland.

Do you have specific places in England and Scotland that you want to see? Have you been there before? Can you afford more than 12 days? If this is a first trip I'd probably do two but not all three countries. Perhaps London 4 days, English country side 4 days then Ireland for 4 days. I'd try for an extra day in each if you can swing it. If you do include Ireland you can fly cheaply on Ryanair between the two countries. Come back here for more information when you have a better idea where you want to go.
Dec 27th, 2003, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the answers you gave me.
My husband and I visited London many years ago, my children didn't. As we will have only about 12 days, I will ask you again: besides England, which of these counties would you choose: Scotland, Wales or Ireland? We are the type of travellers that like old cities and coutryside alike. Please, any coment will be very wellcome. THANKS.
Dec 27th, 2003, 04:44 PM
jor

I can not tell by the way you worded your question, but I hope you don't think that The Republic of Ireland is a part of Great Britain.

That being said, I would definately recommend Ireland for its character and friendly people.
Dec 28th, 2003, 07:29 AM

I have enjoyed all three countries - in fact they are the last three i have visited.

For 12 days, I would skip Ireland and just see England and Scotland. After all, you can hardly do justice to those two countries in the 12 days.

Scenery in both countries is quite similar - lots of green, no spectacular mountains, lots of old buildings and castles. More spectacualr seaside in Ireland
Dec 29th, 2003, 10:40 AM

lery:

Sorry, the first time you asked your question it sounded to me (and most others) as if you wanted to do England Scotland AND Ireland, not England + 1. With that clarification and 12 days, I would only do Ireland with England if you thought you would never be back. Then again, once you go to Ireland, you know you'll be back. Ireland is, by the way, beautiful.

Beyond that, I stand by what I said before, try SW England and Wales. You'll hit plenty of old cities and some beautiful countryside. This would be a fair amount less driving than going to Scotland.

BTW, I can't find anything in either of your posts that suggests that you think that the Republic of Ireland is part of the UK.

Bill