Weather Concerns

Old Aug 8th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weather Concerns

My wife and I have never taken a cruise because I want to see land when I am on a boat/ship!!! Many, many years ago my wife and her family took a ferry (probably) from Wales to Ireland and the Irish sea was very rough, she said. She didn't enjoy the expeerience at all. So, she has not suggested any cruises during the 43 years we have been married since I have my phobia. We have been on several ferries in Canada over the years and I seem to do well on them because the ferries are large and the waters have been tranquil. Now, however, we are sorta contemplating a cruise for 2010 that has us going to Sweden, Russia, The Netherlands, and several other countries, before ending up in England. The cruise is for the last half of June. We would not like to run into any bad weather and I would like to know that we aren't very far from land at any time while away from a port. I realize that storms can occur at any time anywhere, but I'd like to hear about any storm experiences have any of you had with a Baltic sea cruise in June.

Thanks!
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 02:47 AM

Zero. We did this cruise in June 2007. No issues at all. However we started from Copenhagen and ended there so we were entirely w/i the Baltic sea. By going to England what sea do you enter? Is that the North sea? I can't speak for that. Also most of the time land is out of visual range. Typically the Baltic is pretty smooth. I hope you can go. The Baltic is a great cruise. Larry
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 04:06 AM

I forgot to add that todays cruise ships, esp. the mega ones will in no feel like a ferry. The ride will be smoother, much smoother. As for a cabin to minimize feeling motion go low and amidships. Cheers, Larry
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 01:27 PM

Been on lots of cruises...most rough weather was crossing the Equator going to S. America. We were in the pool when the Captain came, stood over us and motioned us to get out now!!! Boy, was that fun, with the water sliding first one way, then the other, and we were being washed about, end to end....now that I think of it, sorta dangerous. But boats are so very safe....not to worry, just have a martini...maybe three or four.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 09:27 AM

You can get some rain during this time of hte year, but some friends just returned from a smiliar cruise in the last half of June and said they had really lovely weather everywhere they stopped, including St. Petersburg.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 01:25 PM

If you are good on the Canadian ferries, you are good ging through most water with the mega cruise ships. You could hardly feel the ship is moving. Pick a cabin that is midship, low, you'll have a blast!