Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Really Need HELP Choosing Cruise Line (for Alaskan Cruise in May)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a 36 year old single female who will be cruising solo. I don't want a "party ship" and am very comfortable with an "older crowd" but I don't want a cruise line where people dress very formally. (I prefer dressy casual - and don't own or plan to own a cocktail dress!)

I already booked a cruise with Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Sea (with CruiseDirect. com - which looks like a very good company) but I can cancel without penalty) I have been on RC before and loved it (went to Caribbean) and I LOVE the itinerary on this one :

Friday, May 14, 2010 Seattle, Washington -- 04:00 PM
Saturday, May 15, 2010 Cruising -- --
Sunday, May 16, 2010 Alaska Inside Passage -- --
Sunday, May 16, 2010 Juneau, Alaska 11:00 AM 08:00 PM
Monday, May 17, 2010 Skagway, Alaska 07:00 AM 08:30 PM
Tuesday, May 18, 2010 Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska 07:00 AM 12:00 PM
Wednesday, May 19, 2010 Cruising -- --
Thursday, May 20, 2010 Victoria, British Columbia 09:00 AM 06:00 PM
Friday, May 21, 2010 Seattle, Washington 06:00 AM --

BUT THE SINGLE PERSON PRICE IS SO HIGH compared to double occupancy! Travel agent said RC has the most expensive single supplement.

I booked the Superior Ocean Stateroom w/ Balcony for $2279 ($2425.08 Total) Plus Cruise Direct gave me a bonus of $100 on board credit

Am I better off with another cruise line? Which one?

The cruise lines that I can choose from are :

NLC Norwegian Pearl
Holland America Oosterdam
Holland America Line - Amsterdam
Carnival Cruise Lines - Carnival Spirit
Princess Cruises - Golden Princess
Celebrity Cruises - Infinity

The most important to me is the food and the shows ... other than that I will mostly be off ship or on my balcony

Thanks for any help
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 12:07 PM

It's not necessarily the case that RCI has the highest single supplement--I just booked myself on the Serenade of the Seas for September out of Vancouver for about 150% of the DO rate. So you really need to shop around and check sailings on a case by case basis--and it's certainly possible they will offer a better solo rate for your cruise between now and when your final payment is due--I'd keep checking.

I also went on a 4 night cruise on the Golden this past May and did have to pay 200% for a balcony--but the rate was so good I didn't mind!

I preferred my previous cruise on RCI (the Mariner) to the one on Princess. Princess wasn't bad by any means--but it was the first cruise after drydock and the crew just seemed "off". Whereas the crew on the Mariner was fabulous.

From talking to other people onboard the cruises I've been on so far, it sounds like the food on HAL, Princess and RCI is pretty comparable (good not great for the most part). From what I've heard, Celebrity is supposed to be a cut above as far as food goes, but I haven't sailed on them yet so can't confirm.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 02:52 PM

We only cruised with RCCL and Princess (dawn) and food on Princess was a step up. Also Princess has better entertainment - we enjoyed their classical string quartet.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 04:39 PM

NLC Norwegian Pearl - My first Alaskan Cruise was on the Sky. It was a great ship. Very clean and a great itinerary.

Holland America Oosterdam
Holland America Line - Amsterdam
Stay away from Holland America. These ships tend to have an older crowd. Like the Holland America I went on you could walk naked through the ship at 11 p.m. and no one would ever know. But they have the best food and the best service I have even had.

Carnival Cruise Lines - Carnival Spirit. Total party ship. Since you said you wanted to stay away from the "party" atmosphere, stay away from Carnival. They are a great line by the way.

Princess Cruises - Golden Princess. My #1 choice. Princess has it all. A party when you want it, great food, great service. Great itineraries. And their ships are really nice and well designed.

Celebrity Cruises - Infinity. Have never sailed on them but have heard great things.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 01:53 AM

We cruised with Princess to Alaska last summer. Have also cruised (warm waters) on NCL, RCCL, Celebrity. Princess was more in line with Celebrity than the other 2 as far as amenities, etc.

I caution you when you read some of the above assessments of individual cruiselines - unless the poster has cruised ALASKA on these cruiselines, comparisons are difficult. Alaska cruises are generally not party ships - no matter which line. And they also tend to attract an older crowd and far fewer kids. Very few people sail to Alaska on several different lines within a short time frame - so these line to line comparisons are important, but it is difficult to factor in the Alaska variable.

Be sure you save a significant amount of money in your busget for shore activities - either cruise ship sponsored excursions or other - they are really essential to enjoying Alaska and tend to be very expensive, since all require alternate transportation someplace other than cruiseport - and often quite a distance by air, rail, or bus.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 05:08 AM

I've taken only one Alaskan Cruise, and that was on Holland America's Zaandam. If you are looking for good food and relaxation while enroute, you could not do better, in my opinion. It may be an older crowd, but the cruise we had was excellent.

The trip back into Glacier Bay Natl. Park was outstanding. We sailed in late May and it was a bit chilly, but a hot coffee or hot chocolate made the veranda a good place to be to see the glaciers. Saw a couple "calvings" which were quite dramatic.

No idea what the policies are for single supplements on HAL.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 02:51 PM

This is something that I think the government regulators should step in. The single surcharge they all charge is ridicules. You take up less psace, you get less food but yet you have to pay more.

You can ask the cruise line and see if the surcharge is the same across all categories of cabins. You may find some cabin surcharge is lower. Almost makes you want to take on a travel companion just to save money.

Of all the ships you listed. I would pick the Golden as it is a nice ship, lots of public spaces and you won't feel crowded at all anywhere. They have recently updated their choice of entertainment, featuring music from the 70's at their main venue. At the other venues, they will have a balanced selection from a piano bar to live bands, string quartet etc. The food is typical cruise fare (on par to convention banquet food) It's good but not spectacular. It is on par with everyone else except for the "elite" crusie lines. Their surcharge restaurants offer much better food. With any time dining on the Princess, you have the option to dine alone at the dining room of your choice.

In general, Celebrity offers better food quality than their mass market counterparts. However, I heard that it has been slipping. I will find out for myself for sure in less than a month. Unfortuanetly, their main stage entertainment is quite dated and needs refreshing.

I never liked the Carnival atmosphere. The singing and dancing service staff is too much for me. The food, on the other hand, is gettng better. HAL is a good choice but you may find the entertainemnt targeting the more mature crowd.

Based on my previous experience, if food is important to you, I will take a pass on NCL. Their food quality is properly the lowest of all the crusie lines that you mentioned. They are not bad. Just that all the other ones are much better.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 03:09 PM

This is something that I think the government regulators should step in. The single surcharge they all charge is ridicules. You take up less psace, you get less food but yet you have to pay more.

I wonder about this too. Why in hotels the price for one and two people, at least in the US, is the same, nobody ever issues a peep. With tours and cruises, it's not right? And on tours and cruises single people don't pay for two, at least not in inside and window cabins, only "surcharge"
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

I agree Dayenu! They should at least cap off the surcharge to 25% - anything over that is a gross injustice! I am being punished because I like having "alone time" ;-)

Anyway, thanks all for the advice. I have to say my head is SPINNING!

So many reviews online - too many - on the same cruise line (and sometimes the same ship) 5 people will say it was the best experience they ever had. Then 5 people will say it was the worst experience they ever had! (I have looked at several web sites, not just on here) This was for SEVERAL different cruise lines.

I have been reading very good things (from professional reviewers like Fodors) about the food on Carnival. That they set the standard. Then I read a few reviews that the food was not good.

AGGHH!

Ok, I just have to make a decision and hope for the best. I figure it is 50/50 either way no matter what.

I canceled RC and booked Carnival Spirit (round trip from Seattle) May 11

I did this because I read about the "Comfort Beds" (I have fibromyalgia - VERY IMPORTANT), It is cheaper (I got a room with extended balcony cheaper than standard balcony on RC), and entertainment (Broadway style shows) are supposed to be very good.

I hope I made the right decision - but I can't rely on the reviews anymore or my head will explode!
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 10:46 AM

Only caution about May 11 saling date is the weather. It is very early in the season and it will be very cool. When compare cruise prices to Alaska, you have to compare same time frame. May and Sptember are usually the cheapest with June and July much higher.

Food on Carnival is definitely getting better, and yes, their beds are better than most. The Spirit was just refitted this March so you may get a new bed.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 06:20 AM

I echo Eschew's comments above about weather. Also, if cruising Tracy Arm I have read that it is not likely you will get very far in due to ice the beginning of the season in May. I would pick an itinerary with Glacier Bay for early May. Hubbard is spectacular but a day cruising Glacier Bay is just beautiful.....so much to see!
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

How cool is "very cool" Is it unbearable? Or do you mean 40s-50's

Also, my RC cruise was going to be May 14 - so that is the same time frame.

There is not going to be a "perfect cruise" - I mean, I have to consider EVERYTHING departure point (I just didn't feel like departing from Vancouver, I wanted to leave from Seattle), comfort of ship, price, itinerary, weather

I know I will have to sacrifice on some things to gain things tat are more important to me.

I just have to concentrate on the positive
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 07:15 PM

We were on Carnival Spirit in mid-June. We had a better than expected time: good ship, great food, nice staff, lots of activities. We didn't go to many shows, but a group of younger folks (17 to 22) traveling in our party enjoyed them all. They are changing departure port from Vancouver to Seattle in 2010. Will make it easier to fly to/from if necessary. I don't know what the 2010 itinerary is, but I agree it may be quite cool if not cold when you go in early May. I'd check to make sure landside excursions are operating, too.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 07:50 PM

Wallace, if you don't expect much, you will not be disappointed. It's all about proper attitude!
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 03:27 PM

Just returned 8-2-09 from Alaska on the Golden Princess. Trip was perfect . Shore excursions were very good. No formal dress if you don't desire to do so. It is smart casual most every night. We dress a little more for Captain's Circle reception if you have cruised this line before.
If you can,try to book a bacony on any Alaskan Cruise. Great not to dress when you start going through Tracy Arms Fjord very early in the morning.
Have fun!
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 08:14 AM

Do be aware that the weather in May will be cool at best- probably cold. We went in August- 7 days on the Princess Ruby and 7 days on a landcruise and loved it- but the weather was wonderful at that time. We have friends who went at the end of June and wished they would have waited until July or August- never did see Mt. McKinley or some of the glaciers because of rain and fog. We loved Princess- in fact we are planning a cruise to Australia through them- the ship was wonderful, clean, had laundry facilities (RC does not) and they just take care of everything. Have fun!
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 03:36 PM

My family and I went on the Carnival Spirit to Alaska last year in September and it was freezing. I'm sure May might be warmer. My parents loved the Spirit because it had simple/beautiful themes in the lounges and we didn't get lost in the La Playa Grill like our trip on the Miracle to the Caribbean.
The ship went out of Vancouver and it was easy getting on and off through customs. I heard Seattle is also an easy terminal from a passenger we met on the cruise. The thing my family enjoy were meeting people from different countries and seeing amazing wildlife and lumberjacks.

All I can say is go with a cruiseline that meets your requirments/needs and price cause if you have to fly it costs extra. I know you will enjoy Alaska no matter what.
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 02:59 PM

may temperature is more like low 50s to low 60's during the day. With the wind (since the ship is moving too) it feels a lot colder. Also, near the Glacier, the wind coming through the Glacier will be much cooler so it may feel like 30's to 40's when the temperature is in mid-50s'. It's called the wind chill factor.

Dress in layers, wind breaker, hoodies, rain slicks, sweats.
I usually bring neck warmers and gloves even for early June and late August.
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 11:00 PM

The Regent Seven Seas Mariner or Voyager ... it doesn't get better than this for Alaska. This is cruising... small ship, no tipping or extras, even tour excursions are included in their current promotions.

We have gone on several ships and except for an upcoming cruise due to timing on another line, this would be our first choice again and again. You will find a younger, more friendly and less food-oriented clientele. However the food is superb and always fresh. Ciao!
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 09:07 PM

<i>I just didn't feel like departing from Vancouver, I wanted to leave from Seattle</i>

IMHO the problem with Seattle is that one stop of your cruise has to be in a foreign country, by law, (non US flagged ship)which is why Seattle based cruises stop in Victoria BC on the way home. Nothing against the place, it's lovely, but it's not Alaska !
If you fly into Seattle there are shuttle companies to take you up to Vancouver if desired, one example: http://www.quickcoach.com/index.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -