Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Is this cruise okay for someone who gets seasick?

Feb 16th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

We have a hold on a small ship cruise (@700 passengers)from London to Rome in mid September. I love the itinerary because it includes France, Portugal, Spain and the Mediterranean, ending in Rome. But...sometimes I can be seasick if there are rough seas or high winds. If I stick to a lower deck with a window, will I be all right? It looks like we're sticking pretty close to the land vs going way out into the Atlantic. Thanks for your help.
Feb 16th, 2009, 05:34 PM

Unfortunately, that may not be the best itinerary if you are concerned about seasickness.Equinotical Gales (i.e. around the time of the fall equinox) are common in the Bay of Biscay.

Nonetheless, nearly all cruise ships are equipped with stabilizers and even in heavy weather my wife, who famously got queasy during the Queen Mary tour in Long Beach Harbor, finds it comfortable if she is in a mid-ship cabin with a large window or balcony. That allows her to keep eyes on the Horizon which she finds helps her a great deal.

All ships cruise well off the coast. The deeper waters are always calmer than the inshore shallows.

But, if you are really concerned about the weather, you would be far better off with a cruise that starts in the Mediterranean IMOH.
Feb 18th, 2009, 08:23 AM

If you really get seasick easily, a cruise in the ocean - as opposed to somewhat protected waters such as the mediterranean or the Caribbean - is not a good idea. Even the smaller bodies of water can be a problem, but are a better bet. Also, I believe larger ships are better, but even there -
Feb 18th, 2009, 09:27 AM

If you want the ports, go ahead and try it - but definitely make sure you have medication (of whichever kind works for you) and take it before you start. Being someone that gets seasick really easily - and there is nothing like being sick to ruin a cruise, been there - done that, be prepared. As said previously, a small boat on the ocean would not be as smooth as a big boat in a sea.....
Feb 18th, 2009, 11:14 AM

Here's a list of things that can help reduce seasickness:

1. Cabin on low deck in the center has the least motion.
2. Being able to see the horizon is a good thing.
3. Big ships have less movement and better stabilizers than little ships.
4. Certain times of year have less weather. Hurricane season is June to November in the Carribean, rainy season starts in April to fall.

The best way to avoid sea-sickness is to relax. One theory is that your body's efforts to counteract motion lead to a rapid drop in body sugar and nausea. Find a seat with arm rests, sit deep in the chair with arms on rests, spread your feet to at least shoulder width and don't allow yourself to fight the motion, instead just relax.
Feb 18th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice and helpful tips. Another couple is going with us and she also gets queasy in rough waters. However, we love the itinerary which goes all along the coast of France, Spain and Portugal and then onto the Mediterranean to Seville, Barcelona, Marseilles, Cinque Terre, Rome. It sounds so wonderful! I am thinking it over...the big cruise ships are not something I'm familiar with.

We've only been on one cruise with Regent and it was great. This one is with Oceania, another small ship. I wish there was another choice that would cover such a diverse itinerary and not be so risky for roughness. 'Any ideas?
Feb 18th, 2009, 03:28 PM

We have been on Oceania in seas so rough that spray was soiling the windows of the Horizon Lounge on deck 9. But, with the stabilizers and making a point of facing for and aft in the dining room and our cabin, we had no problem.

BTW, except for to rooms looking over the bow and stern all the beds are oriented along the center line of the ship and are comfortable in any sea.

The lowest balcony cabins are located on deck 6. Any of the B1 cabins will be in the most central part of the ship and should be comfortable.
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Hi Jeff
Thank you so much for all the detail. Where were you with such rough seas? Do you remember which ship it was?

The ship Oceania is using for the coastal cruise is The Insignia @ 30K tons. Now that you know where, when and which ship, do you think your wife would be okay on this cruise in the right cabin? Half of the cruise is in the Mediterranean and the first half is on the Atlantic/Bay of Biscay.
Feb 22nd, 2009, 08:51 PM

As a seasick cruiser..lol. my strong recommendation is go to a health food store and buy ginger tablets (like when you were young and got flat gingerale).. and take one as you board the ship and at every meal. Then also buy mint tea bags and if your stomach is a bit queasy drink mint tea.. it works..
Feb 23rd, 2009, 01:09 PM

I'd recommend you visit your doctor and get some scopolamine patches. These are the most effective of the modern seasickness remedies. My dad, who gets seasick easily, took these on a cruise last year and did just fine, and we had some rough seas. You can also just take dramamine or mint tea or ginger tablets or even use the seabands if you don't want to take more drugs. This isn't that small a ship, so I think the stabilizers will make a difference. I just took a small-ship cruise (100 passengers) in Costa Rica and Panama and was seasick only one night, and we had a fair number of rough sea days.

You'll definitely have your roughest days before you go through the Straits of Gibraltar, but depending on the time of year, it may not be any worse than the Mediterranean. September can actually be a good time to cruise there.

I'd just add 2 things. The Caribbean is absolutely not calmer than the Mediterranean; that's a common misconception. Second, the seas can actually be calmer sometimes during the hurricane season, when the trade winds are lower (these cause a lot of the swells you get in the Caribbean).
Feb 26th, 2009, 11:51 AM

We cruised on Oceania's Insignia in the Mediterranean and Adriatic during the month of November. Most of the time we could barely tell the ship was moving. We were up on deck 8, midway between the center and back of the ship. We did have good weather, but I thought for sure I'd feel some rocking, but I never did. We loved that ship and the cruise - everything about it was awesome!

I'm even considering doing a transatlantic crossing with Oceania!
Mar 2nd, 2009, 12:50 PM

Have you heard of the patch? It enables those with more severe sea sickness to cruise. By perscription in US; on Canadian internet cheaply witout perscription. My BF cannot cruise without it. Works for everyone.
Mar 6th, 2009, 05:21 PM

Mairseydotes,

Do try some of the prescription or over the counter medications for seasickness. I take Bonine and it does wonders, even on small boats in very rough seas. I can't go on merry-go-rounds or to I-Max theaters. I get car sick. Now that regular TV flashes pictures so fast, I cannot even watch that. But with Bonine, I've never hurled at sea, regardless of conditions.
Mar 6th, 2009, 06:45 PM

DOUG--the patches for many p eople create a problem and the M.D.s I worked with would not recommend they.. mainly blurring of the eyes.. In Europe over the counter (and in Bermuda) there is something called Sturgeron which is what the sailors use in Bermuda for yacht racing. If people do use the patch they should try HALF FIRST..Being seasick is NOT fun, I can't tell you how many cruises were ruined by it..now I go like a trooper on trans-atlantics and never a problem
Mar 6th, 2009, 09:06 PM

My husband gets airsick, seasick, car sick, tram sick, bus sick - any type of motion and he can get sick. We have found 24 hour Dramamine (I think this is about the right name) purchased in USA is the only thing that helps him overcome travel sickness.
Mar 11th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of your help! We have decided to take a cruise of the Greek Islands, Athens and end up in Turkey. The rough seas of the Atlantic Ocean scared me out of our "dream trip", but with all the alternatives for seasickness, we may reconsider in the future. I'll talk about the scopalmine or Bonine with my doctor and see if that's the answer. Meanwhile, thanks for all of your help!
Mar 15th, 2009, 08:30 AM

seasickness can be a real bummer! I have tried the patch only to have problems with full dilation of the eye. Looks really strange. Bepto Bismo/ draminine/ even the wrist bands that sell for around $5 at drug stores work well. You may find that after a day or two you don't need anything.