VISA for CHRISTMAS iSLAND, Kiribati?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do any recent cruisers around the Hawaiian Islands whose itinerary went to KIRIBATI, Christmas Island, know if there was a Visa required?<BR>We went in 2000, and didn't need a Visa.<BR>Any current info. appreciated.<BR>Thanks.<BR>S
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 02:45 PM

We didn't go to Christmas but did go to Fanning last year which is also in the Republic of Kiribati and didn't need a visa. I would double check with the cruise line (I think it's Princess that goes to Christmas right?).
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 02:56 PM

If you're a U.S. citizen and cruising with NCL to Hawaii/Kiribati, a Visa is not needed or required. Only a passport is required.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

<BR>Hi,<BR>Thanks for your responses.<BR>The cruise line is Radisson, which is the same line as our 2000 cruise to Sydney. Checked our paperwork, and did not pay for a Visa then, which is why I was wondering why we need one now. Things changed?<BR>Thanks. <BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 11:05 AM

Are you saying that Radisson is telling you that you need a visa? What is your nationality?
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi Patty,<BR> We are U.S. citizens, have always had a U.S. Passport.<BR>Yes, Radisson says we need a Visa.<BR>Do You have any knowledge on this you can share with me? <BR>Seems funny that 3 years after we were on Christmas Island that we now need Visas.<BR>Thanks for any help.<BR>Anyone else booked on the Sept. 21 So. Pacific Mariner who has reveived this notice from RSSC?<BR>Thanks for all reesponses.<BR>Joanne
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 02:42 PM

I found the following information from the U.S. State Dept on entry requirements to the Republic of Kiribati http://travel.state.gov/kiribati.html<BR><BR>It appears that a visa is required. However, I know that for example, NCL passengers are not required at the present time to obtain individual visas. This may be because NCL applies for a blanket visa that covers all of their passengers. Perhaps Radisson does not do this???
Old May 23rd, 2003, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone on the Sept. 21 So. Pacific cruise have any more info. on the VISA?
Does Radisson get a group VISA? And if other cruise lines can do it, why doesn't Radisson?
Thanks for your feedback?
J
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Just topping. Thanks.
Anyone booked on Sept. 21 Mariner round trip S.F. to So. Pacific have info.?
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 10:01 AM

Went to Christmas Island 3 years ago with Regal Princess and did not require a visa. It is a very remote island but people very interesting.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we didn't need a VISA 3 years ago also which is why I am asking if we need one now.
Is there anyone who knows whether Radisson gets a group VISA?
I guess I will call Radisson directly to find out.
Thanks anyway.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 06:47 PM

Sable,

Unless Radisson does a group visa, which I don't know about, You will need a visa. Here is the State Department's fact sheet of Kriribati, http://travel.state.gov/kiribati.html.

I hope this helps

Benton
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 12:37 PM
kmd

Sable, We are booked on the Sept 21 Marine cruise and my agent has told me that we do not need an individual visa. She says that the ship will obtain a blanket visa for all of the guests and the charge will be made to our individual accounts. I have not received any notification from Radisson that we need anything else. Please let me know if you hear different.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Dear KMD,
Yes, when I called RSSC the lady told me they would get a group VISA and she thought the charge would be $6.00. So it does look like that's one less thing for us to be taking care of.
I'm getting excited now, only 2 more months. How about you? Maybe I'll run into you on the ship.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 03:19 PM
kmd

Sable,Yes, I too am really excited about the trip. This will be our first cruise with Radisson and everything I am reading indicates it will be great. We are doing San Fran to San Fran; are you doing the full circle? We are coming from New Orleans and will spend the night before embarkation at Fishermen's Wharf. Trying to get some info on the best excursions at each port. Have any ideas?
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Greetings KMD in N.O.
Thanks for writing back.
Yes, we are doing the S.F. to S.F. cruise.
Actually, we have done a similiar cruise on the Paul Gauguin innaugural cruise from S.F. to Tahiti which was our first Radisson cruise. We also went from S.F. to Sydney in 2000 on the rssc Navigator when the Olympics were there. So, you can tell I really love the Radisson ships. As far as port excursions, we just do things on our own rather than the cruise's excursions. That way we can do what we want, when we want for as long as we want and don't have to go through the proverbial &quot;gift shop&quot; stop. We have never missed a sailing yet, knock on wood. So, depending on what type of travellers you are as far as adventurous, independent or prefer booked ship excursions, active or limited mobility, etc., would probably dictate how you sightsee. I also find that by looking at what the ships are offering, we can plan an independent excursion by using a taxi or even public transportation and have alot of fun, and sometimes even an adventure or two.
But if you have any specific port/activity questions, I would be happy to try to answer them for you.
Referring to your comment about this being a wonderful cruise, I can't agree more. I don't
know which other lines you have travelled with, rssc is the best we have ever been on. But I have to admit that we haven't been on Crystal, Seaborn or Silversea. Maybe you have and will have a different impression.
If you want to know about the Mariner, I would also be happy to answer questions. We were on her &quot;shakedown&quot; cruise in 2001.
Well, that's all for now. Bye now.