How do you get a Russian visa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boss just came into my office and asked me to help him find out how to get a Russian visa. He will be leaving the first part of June, and he and his wife have decided they'd like to try to go ahead and get one for their trip (a cruise with a stop in Russia, I think).

I will also google and try to find this info, but I know Fodorites are the best with finding information! Thanks!
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:22 AM

Well, he goes to a Russian embassy/consulate with the passports, a couple of photos and money. The more money the faster he needs the visas.

But if he is just going on a cruise I think he doesn´t need visas. I think the cruise company usually gets a group visa that covers all the passangers.
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:37 AM

If it is a stopover on a cruise, it might not be necessary to get a visa.

If it is not and a visa is necessary, then turning up at the Russian embassy without a letter of invitation is a waste of time. Find out more about the travel plans.
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:54 AM

<<< How do you get a Russian visa? >>>

Your team gets to the final of the Champions League, you buy a match ticket...
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:06 AM

Normally, you either go directly through the Russian Consulate or through a Visa service like Travisa or Zierer.

If it is with a cruise line, chances are they either have a blanket visa for anyone doing their shore excursion(s) at that port - this is actually (usually) cheaper than doing the visa on the aside.
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:09 AM

He should definitely check first with the cruise operator. They will know if one if required (for whatever it is he's planning to do). And, usually the cruise operator has Visa support providers they know to be reliable to recommend and can provide the "invitiation".

Not that it's very late to be applying for a Visa for the first part of June. But, there are any number of online services which can expedite the process - for a fee.
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:17 AM

If it's a cruise with a stop in Russia (St. Petersburg likely), then a visa is not necessary if one is taking an excursion ashore with the cruise line. The Russian immigration authorities will come on board and stamp the passports as the passengers leave. The visa is only good for the duration of the excursion. For independent excursions from the ship, the Russian tour company, Red October for example, usually arranges for a group visa, but it's best to check first.

Otherwise, an individual tourist visa issued by the Russian Embassy or Consulate is required and documentation from the Russian Tour Company must be presented.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody. I passed all this information on to him.