Search

Turkish visa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2010, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turkish visa

I have book a 7 day cruise aboard the Louis Cristal 2 - 9 April to the Greek Islands and Turkey. I live in Windhoek, Namibia, and was just informed by my travel agent that I will have to travel to Johannesburg, in South Africa to apply for my visa for Turkey. Unfortunately Johannesburg is more that 1000km from where I live in Namibia, and it is a bit difficult for me to travel that distance. I have my multi-entry Schengen visa. What are my options if I cannot obtain the Turkish visa before I leave Namibia? Will the cruise liner allow me to board the ship without having the Turkish visa? Can I stay on the cruise liner when we get to the Turkish ports when the other passengers leave to explore the cities?
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 01:53 PM

If a visa is required, you can usually not board the ship without it; because of the way ships clear customs, all visitors required to have visas must have them regardless of whether or not they intend to leave the ship. Some nationalities can obtain a visa on arrival in Turkey, but some can't.

I'd certainly call the Turkish consulate and see if you can obtain your visa by mail (some consulates offer this to some nationalities but not to others). But you are cutting things close either way. And I'm not familiar enough with requirements for non-Americans to give you any specific advice.

Perhaps you're flying to Greece from Joburg anyway and could just go a couple of days early to get the visa?
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 01:56 PM

Terua, I see you are a new poster. We have European and African forums - copy your post to those two forums, you may get the answer there faster.

Also, is there a Turkish embassy or consulate in Namibia? If yes, maybe you can contact them.

The cruise websites have rules posted: all visas must be obtained before boarding, so they have the right to refuse to let you on-board, why risk that?
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What nationality are you? Looks like Namibians can't get visas on arrival, but you might need to go to Pretoria, not Johannesburg... You should check this web site: http://www.turkishembassy.co.za/

I would not expect that you would have a problem staying on the ship, but you might should check that with the cruise line and/or the embassy.
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far.
Unfortunatley there is no Turkish embassy or consulate in Namibia.
My travel agent contancted the cruise liner and they informed her that I only need the Schengen visa, and that I do not need a Turkish visa, seeing that we will be in transit. I am really confused now.
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 04:53 AM

Many cruise lines stop in countries where visas are required, but the countries waive the visa requirements for cruise passengers who are taking a ship-sponsored shore excursion. Such is the case in St. Petersburg, Russia, if the ships is just making a port call. If you don't take a ship-sponsored shore excursion, you have to get a Russian visa; if you take a shore excursion, you do not. If the ship were disembarking in Istanbul it would be a different story. So this does sound like it could be the case for you.

Other countries like Brazil do not make this exception. But if the cruise line says this, it's likely to be true. However, I just don't know the particulars (and Americans can get visas on arrival, so it isn't a big problem for us).
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank Doug
Jsut a quick update... I got in contact with the cruise liner office in Athens and they confirmed that because I am travelling Piraieus - Piraieus I will be in transit and thus do not need a visa for Turkey. Now all that's left for me is to look forward to a great cruise.