Reload this Page >

Updated Costa info please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Willy

Anybody have recent info about this cruise line and specifically the ship, Victoria?<BR>Have family sailing soon and want to know if this one is ok. Isn't this the company that had the Achille Lauro?

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 03:30 PM
Lew

The Achilie Lauro was owned by the Lauro Lines, no longer in the cruise ship business but still runs ferries in the Med.<BR><BR>Costa Cruise Lines is a division of Carnival Cruises. <BR><BR>I have no personal knowledge of the Victoria.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 10:05 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Willy,<BR><BR>I sailed the Romantica and the Victoria in Europe and the line caters to Europeans and is a European experience. <BR><BR>I sailed the Atlantica in the Caribbean and it caters to Americans. It line was voted as having the best entertainment at sea with its street festivals, toga night, etc. You will have the same experience on the Victoria.<BR><BR>It is a five-star cruise line and you should not have any concerns. It will be a fabulous vacation.<BR><BR>Paul<BR><BR><BR>

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 09:30 AM
cd

Paul<BR>We area on the Atlantica in January. I understand there will be two formal nights (tux or dark suit) and the other evenings, sportcoat, except for toga night. Is this info correct? Also, we have booked shore excursions thru locals. Any info on whether that is better than what the ship offers or vica versa? Thanks!

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 01:22 AM
Paul Therault

Hi cd,<BR><BR>Two formal nights are dressy. The others are casual. Older gentlemen do wear sportcoats every night. The ship will give you trinkets to add to your sheet on toga-night. Many passengers bring items from home. The few passengers who are too shy to dress in a sheet on Toga Night will find they are one of the few and will be out of place. <BR><BR>Can't comment on the shore tours. People tend to disagree when I say that unless you are travel savvy and understand the pitfalls of booking on your own, then go with the ship's tours. Since you already booked on your own, give a couple hours window to get back to the ship. You should be OK.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 05:57 AM
cd

Thanks Paul!<BR>RE: Toga night. Do you wear shorts and t-shirt under your sheet?

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 11:00 PM
Paul Therault

Hi cd,<BR><BR>You will be shocked to see what some passengers wear under their togas. It's a hoot. You can wear anything you like or nothing at all.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 01:58 PM
neviboy

We sailed on Romantica to the Baltic in 2000. Apart from other problems, the food was terrible, except for pasta cooked at the table.<BR>My family just returned from the newest Atlantica to the Caribbean. They stated that the food was &quot;bland&quot; the desserts were &quot;makeshift&quot; the staff could not understand ANY English, but the accomodations were just fine.<BR>Same old Costa !!<BR>neviboy

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 10:42 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Neviboy,<BR><BR>I did sail the Romantica a few years ago. The food was rather bland but the language was not a problem. Same as traveling in Europe. Since Carnival Corp. took over, they buy the food in bulk for all their company ships. Times have changed in the food department but some people have different tastes that is why some do not care for Celebrity food or Holland America food.<BR><BR>I did not think the pasta was that good at all. I tried it a couple of times as a side and it is not Northern or Southern Italian. It does not compare to Boston or New Haven Wooster Street.<BR><BR>I do not believe that Costa is rated less than five 5 stars. My family is bugging me to book Costa again. <BR><BR>FYI, there are no street festivals or toga night in Europe. The Europeans probably think it is corny.<BR><BR>Paul