Reload this Page >

For Paul and anyone else who has cruised the Mediterranean a clothing question

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Harriette

How many sport jackets does my hubby need for a 10 day cruise? He is wearing a tux on formal nights.Do men wear a jacket to dinner every night or are nice shirt and pants ok

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:55 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>Hi Harriette,<BR><BR>Tough question. If you are sailing upscale such as Abercrombie & Kent, Costa, Crystal, Peter Deilmann, Radisson, Silversea, etc. definitely bring those sport jackets (I bring three). The tux for 3 additional nights and 3 or 4 casual shirt/slacks. First night is always casual (any cruise line).<BR><BR>If you are sailing say Sun Cruises, Captain Cook, Windjammer, any explorer cruises not even a tux is necessary.<BR><BR>All run-of-the-mill cruise ships that we all know of that sail the Med in the summer, would have a majority of U.S. citizens on board. Therefore they would only be dressing up on formal nights. But then again, I sailed Princess and there were quite a few elegantly dressed passengers every night.<BR><BR>I wish I could be of more help. Possibly if you named the ship .... <BR><BR>Paul<BR><BR><BR>

Old May 18th, 2002, 09:38 PM
Harriette

sorry paul, we are on the Golden Princess

Old May 19th, 2002, 12:07 AM
Paul Therault

<BR>Hi Harriette,<BR><BR>Good choice, great ship and great itinerary. I was on her sister hip the Grand a few years ago. Of all the familiar cruise lines that we all know of Princess is the most dressy. <BR><BR>For me was glad I took 3 sport light jackets but with the new "pick your own" dining venue and you choose that one, you do not have to dress unless you do the main dining room or the two exclusive restaurants.<BR><BR>Maybe we will hear from someone else who has chosen the "Personal Choice Dining" on Princess in the Med. Or any other exotic area where one would find more upscale passengers.<BR><BR>You will love that cruise!<BR><BR>Paul

Old May 19th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Andy

Hi- we took a MED cruise on Princess a couple of years ago-<BR>On formal nites,just about all the men had on Tuxs-<BR>On other nites,unless specified as casual, men wore sport coats and ties.<BR>FOr formal nites=women wore long and short cocktail dresses and pants<BR>For informal-women wore Sunday dresses or slax sets<BR>For casual-sun dresses or slax is fine...<BR><BR>It is much more formal than a Caribbean cruise and the clientele is a littel older and more travelled than the Caribbean crowd- but it is still FABULOUS!

Old May 19th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Harriette

Thanks for your help--We leave this week and are sooooo excited

Old May 20th, 2002, 09:10 AM
julie

After several cruises, we found that packing light makes life so much easier (get it all in the closet, running thru airports, new security regulations, etc.) so hubby takes ONE sport jacket, ONE tux, and several cumberbunds/ties combos. No one will ever notice that it is the same jacket if you alter tie and shirt (same as they don't notice what the ladies are wearing) I wear black, (black dress and black jacket, with black silk slacks to alternate, then several scarfs, or dressy sweater to change the look. ) It all goes in ONE bag or it doesn't go.