Search

Rain

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rain

We will begin our cruise next friday and I looked for weather reports and I think it is going to rain most of the time.We will be stopping in Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan and Icy Strait Point. Any suggestions in what to do with rain in these places?
Thank you
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 02:45 PM

Wear a rain jacket with a hood that's long enough to cover your butt, and just keep going.

In Ketchikan, we were told that if you can't see the mountain, it's raining--and if you can see it, it's about to rain. The SE Alaska Discovery Center is indoors and definitely worth some time. There was also a Totem restoration place and a salmon hatchery & eagle sanctuary.

In Skagway, the National Park Service exhibits (and walking tour) are excellent, and we also liked the Corrington Museum and the City Hall Museum.

In Juneau, the State of Alaska Museum is wonderful--and we're odd, but we like touring state Capitol buildings. Don't miss Mendenhall Glacier--we hiked the Trail of Time in the rain, and the AV presentation is fascinating. We also liked the Juneau-Douglas museum.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 04:07 PM
P_M

When we visted Alaska it rained all 10 days, except of course, the day we left. We did not change our plans at all. Bring the proper rain gear and enjoy your trip.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 06:01 PM

Our pretrip weather reports in July said 30% of more chance of rain daily in ports, and it was sunshine most of the time with no rain in ports. Just bring rain ponchos (much better than umbrellas) with hoods and two pairs of walking shoes so if one pair gets wet you still have dry shoes for the extra day. I agree with the recommendation of the Skayway National Park Service tour, film and exhibits! We have found being prepared for touring in the rain is often more beneficial than fair weather touring since many tourists won't venture out in the rain. Photography in the rain can also be awesome so just go enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 08:34 AM

Definately pack good rain gear and 2 pair of walking shoes. You also can NOT predict weather in Alaska. Make good plans and go with them.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi
We have two pairs of rubber boots that we bought to travell to Pantanal in Brazil, where there was a lot of mud in the roads. .They are so big they occupy half of my suitcase. Do you think it is worth bringing them or I will be ok with tennis shoes?
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 05:52 PM
P_M

I wouldn't bring boots that occupy half your suitcase, but I wouldn't rely on tennis shoes either. I bet you can find a happy medium, in terms of a smaller water-proof shoe or boot.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Hi
That is what I will do. Going to the airport, thank you all