Need Hurtigruten Advice

Search

Need Hurtigruten Advice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Hurtigruten Advice

Hi. We will be traveling to Antarctica with Hurtigruten (formerly Norwegian Coastal Voyage) this January. Hurtigruten provides its passangers with a coat, but we have received conflicting information from them as to whether this coat is an actual parka, a coat with any kind of insulation, or simply a windbreaker. If you have experience with Hurtigruten and can tell us what the coat is like, it would be much appreciated.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 04:29 PM

Lucky you!! Going to Antarctica on Hurtigruten is still on our to-do-before-we-die list!

We have been on two Hurtigruten cruises within Norway - one during the brightest of summertime and other during the darkest of wintertime. Both different and very enjoyable experiences.

While out on the deck one day enjoying the noontime twilight above the Arctic Circle during the winter cruise we chatted with a lady wearing that red and black Hurtigruten Antarctica parka; it looks so warm and waterproof, it has the necessary insulation - it is not a windbreaker.

You still need to have several layers of mixed fabric clothing underneath, but not too thick. You should be absolutely fine with the Hurtigruten parka. I think the ship would be supplying other stuff for you to wear for the boat landings.

Just read the literature that you receive with regards to clothing and shoes they ask you to take.

The lady we chatted with LOVED her trip to Antarctica.

Which shp are you going on? Nordnorge or Fram?

Both of our Norway cruises were on Finnmarken.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Original Poster

Hi BlueSea. Thank you so much for the information regarding the Hurtigruten parka. The literature (and telephone information) we received from Hurtigruten referred to the jacket as both a parka and as a windbreaker. We appreciate you eliminating the confusion.

We will be sailing on January,25 on the Nordnorge. It was interesting to see that the Nordnorge was the primary rescue vessel at the recent sinking of the GAP ship in Antartica. This is a long anticipated trip we're really looking forward to but I must confess we are both a bit leery of the double Drake Passage crossings. I understand sea sickness medication is a must!

If everything goes as well as we hope with Hurtigruten we are also already quite taken with the idea of a Norwegian coastal cruise with them.

Thanks again for your help.

Old Dec 11th, 2007, 06:41 AM

whasis - just to let you know when we did the Antarctic cruise last January Drakes Passage was as calm as glass. We did however have force 10 gale winds from the Falklands so you never know what to anticpate. Meclazene (Bonine) is marvelous. I always carry it and take one in the morning if it looks like a a rough sea. It doesn't make you sleepy and I have never had a problem. There were people with patches and other aids who were sick. I gave them my pills and they were fine. So - thought I would let you know just in case. Have a great time it is an incredible cruise.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Traveller69---Thank you--both for your experience regarding the Drake Passage as well as your information on Meclazene. We had been doing some research on medications for sea sickness and, while the consensus seems to be for the Scopolomine patch, we were concerned about the potentially severe side effects that had been reported. We are certainly glad to hear of your positive experieces with Meclazene and will probably give that a try. Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 11:41 AM

whasis - glad to help. I can tell you as very seasoned cruisers (100,000 miles with HAL alone) we have tried it all. Some of the cruises were very very rough so I never like to be without medication just in case. If you are a Costco member you can buy a bottle of it for a very reasonable price. The Bonine in the pharmacies costs 5 times at least. I thought it was a rather large bottle and we would never use it but I have given so many out on cruises I am glad we had it. The great thing about it is that it doesn't make you sleepy or groggy. On the Antarctic cruise one of our table mates was a Doctor. He had the patch on. Well, we were 1/2 a day into the gale when he came to our cabin asking for a pill!!! He also said it was safe to take meclazene even if you are wearing a patch. Enjoy your cruise!!!
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 03:36 PM

whasis,
I'm currently booked on the Fram for Feb 2009. I'd love to hear about your trip when you get back. Will you be posting a report?
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Original Poster

Hi Patty---haven't posted a trip report before but will give it a try.
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 03:23 PM

Thanks, looking forward to it!