Help with Norway

Search

Help with Norway

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Norway

My husband and I are planning a trip to Norway next summer and was wondering if we should do it on our own or take a Costa cruise that just cruises Norway. Any help would be appreciated. also we have never cruised before and my husband's idea of a vacation is not dressing up for dinner.
thank you
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 04:21 PM

Where does the cruise take you? My inclination is not to do a cruise since there are so many highlights inland and in the mountains. What do you want to see there? How much time do you have? I spent two months there and never had to dress up once for dinner so I don't think you need to worry about that.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

hleesa
The cruise goes to Geiranger, flam, Bergen, kristansand and Oslo. The only advantage is you don't have to pack and unpack. But you are probably right as there is much to see inland.
Thank you
ivygirl
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 04:18 PM

Do a search on this board for Norway. You should find lots of advice.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 12:42 PM

Not dragging luggage is a good thing, and your planned cruise for sure will hit interesting and perfect Norwegian goals along the southern part of the country's coast. But: What will you experiene? Guided service within limited hours in each harbor probably will be unjust compared to what experiences you can gather on your own, given more time and more individual choices at each stop. And a cruise always is by sea, which certainly gives you water sights. which can be experienced anywhere, for most of the time.
Hence my suggestion is to plan for a more flexible Norwegian holiday, including more inland and also other parts of our wide stretched and naturewise magnificant country. A rental is perfect, and planning to also include the northern part of the country with the midnight sun and the marvellous nature up there will be georious.
So, if a lazy cruise is not your only alternative, let us discuss the alternatives.
Welcome to Norway

Bjorn, Oslo
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 05:25 PM

We were in Scandinavia with Grand Circle last year which we chose over a cruise. Problem with cruises: loafing time aboard ship rather than relaxing strolls through cities such as Bergen, no evenings in town, prepared meals rather than local spots, etc.

We did a cruise in Caribbean and it was an OK way to see the islands, but prefer overland travel. Yes, you do have your quarters so don't unpack, but what we like with Grand Circle is locating for some days in one city and then day trips as well as free time.
Anyway you will enjoy the breathtaking fjords.
Bill in Missouri [email protected]
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your advice. I think we will pass on the cruise idea. We like exploring on our own. Scantours has some great packages. Does anyone know if renting a car is worth it or should we take the trains?
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 12:41 AM

It depends a lot on where you want to go. Since renting a car in Norway as well as fuel prices are high you should make sure it is worth it. Not to mention that you would probably have to drive a stickshift on hairpin turns and steep elevation. But of course due to Norway's decentralised nature some places are a lot easier by car.

Take a look at the nation rail company's webpage at www.nsb.no There is a english button up in the right corner so you can understand the page
From there you can check if there is a train between your desired locations.

Sindre
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 09:05 AM

I like cruises, but you don't really get to see much of the country you're visiting. With a country as varied and beautiful as Norway (I've been there about a dozen times), I'd definitely do a land vacation instead.
Unless you really want the organization of a planned tour, you can do very well on your own in Norway. English is widely spoken, and I found it very easy to get around. It's relatively easy to find lodging in Norway (and it is always clean, even in the least expensive spots). I like finding restaurants for myself, and trying food that I'm not accustomed to at home (I love cloudberries, for example).
Have a great time.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 10:06 AM

Have you checked on a "Coastal Voyage Cruise"? My wife and I went on one two summers ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. We flew into Oslo and stayed for a day and then took train across Norway to Bergen and boarded the boat there. We went all the way up the west coast and stopped at many towns and even took bus trips inland from the boat and then reboarded later on. Check out Norwegian Coastal Voyages (Hurtigruten) on the web.