Reload this Page >

Invite to Captain's Table?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2002, 09:29 PM
Billie

Does anyone have any advice on how to garner an invitation to the captain's table? We are taking a Celebrity cruise soon and would love to do so. Is it based solely upon cabin level/and or repeat cruises with same line or can a well written query letter do the trick? I'd love some words of wisdom from anyone who knows how to secure such a treat.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 09:58 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>Hi Billie,<BR><BR>No set program on any cruise line. Luck of the draw. <BR><BR>Word around the industry is that a captain or two will choose a couple of gorgeous single women to join in his aperitif.<BR><BR>As a matter of fact I have seen some grubby looking passengers at the captain's table.<BR><BR>I have been on 73 cruises - majority suites - have never been choosen for that almighty captain's table.<BR><BR>Good luck,<BR><BR>Paul

Old May 4th, 2002, 04:19 AM
Theresa

I have friends who seek the captain out early in the week and ask him to drinks in one of the lounges.<BR><BR>This eventually gets them invited to the Captain's Table. <BR><BR>This has worked successfully for them on most of their cruises.

Old May 4th, 2002, 07:31 AM
billie

Try the Hyacinth Bucket route and invite him to one your intimate candlelight suppers.<BR>

Old May 4th, 2002, 09:24 AM
nanette

Billie, We love that show, what a cute reply.I have seen Hyacinth on small boats on that show but never a cruise ship. I'm sure if she did cruise she would have to be seated at the captain's table!!!!

Old May 5th, 2002, 07:00 AM
billie

Hi Nannette,<BR><BR>Oh yes, Hyacinth really did do a QE2 trip in and episode from 1993 entitled "Sea Fever". We have the video. Of course, everything goes wrong, and poor Richard is left holding her many bags, Hyacinth's "matched set with genuine leather embelleshments". Much of it was actually filmed on board the ship, and Hyacinth simply must set out to get an invite to the Capt's table. Rent it if you can, it is hilarious. One of her best!<BR><BR>Billie (not the original poster)

Old May 5th, 2002, 07:12 PM
pianomaster

Who or what is Hyacinth's Bucket?

Old May 5th, 2002, 07:49 PM
billie

Hi,<BR>Hyacinth Bucket is te main character on a Brit sit-com called "Keeping Up Appearances" You can usually catch it on a PBS station. It follows the life of a middle class British matron and her family. The basic premise is that she is always trying to make herself out to be of a higher class than she is and is constantly thwarted by her sloppy working class family. For example her name is Bucket, but insists that it be pronounced "Bouquet". It can be pretty hilarious, and most of the neighbors go to great lengths to avoid her which they never seem to fully manage. As mentioned above she does a QE2 trip in one episode, making sure everyone knows where she is going prior to leaving etc. etc. She attempts to get to eat at the Capt's table by inviting him to "one of my intimate candlelight suppers" which is a phrase she uses often. Anyway its pretty funny, catch it sometime.<BR><BR>Billie

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Erika Maude

One time (on the long-gone Empress of England) whilst on a transAtlantic crossing from Montreal to Liverpool I got very angry with my father. I was very drunk; and to show him that I was "an adult" (I was 20 then) I did a madcap mombo in the First-Class Lounge at 4 in the afternoon in a red nightgown. Later, after being released by the master-at-arm's, I recieved an invite to the Captain's table for the rest of the voyage.

Old May 6th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Bob Levinstein

Erika:<BR><BR>Great story!<BR><BR>I may not be a captain, but you can sit at my table anytime.

Old May 6th, 2002, 05:22 PM
billie

Erica you sound fabulous!!!

Old May 6th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Willie

Erika, you sound like you need to be on medication!

Old May 9th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Chauncey

Hey Erika!!!<BR><BR>Any more crazy stories? that can't be the only trip you ever took. Did your father survive that event? Does he still speak to you?<BR><BR>Cheers from Chaunce!

Old May 9th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Janet

Apart from a free glass of wine why does anyone want to sit on the captain's table. My husband and I were invited but declined as we would rather have sat at our own table with a fabulous view of the ocean! It was our first cruise too!

Old May 9th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Monique

I was invited to the Captain's table on the Ecstacy. You wouldn't believe it!They served meat!<BR>I told eveyone at the table that I didn't eat meat. I told everyone on the ship that I didn't eat meat.<BR>Only the cabin steward understood me.

Old May 9th, 2002, 07:15 AM
TheGroup

We understand Monique.

Old May 9th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Joanne

Monique, get a life!

Old May 10th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Cindy Lane

One time the captain told me I could sit at his table if he could have a quickie. I think he got the better part of the deal.

Old May 10th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Howard

Put your picture on the web and will be the judges of that.