Does side of ship matter?

Jul 7th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Does side of ship matter?

We are going on a cruise mid-August on the Statendam from Seward to Vancouver. We have a guaranteed Verandah suite (therefore we don't have an assigned cabin). Does it matter which side of the ship we are on as we sit and watch from our verandah? I was told that the Captain sort of parks for a while in Glacier Bay, for example, and moves the ship from one side to another. Is that true? I also assume that going through the Inside Passage both sides of the ship would have great views. I hope I won't be sorry to have not snatched up the Port side.......
Jul 7th, 2004, 06:25 PM

I just returned from Alaska on the Coral Princess. I couldn't get a port side cabin but I went anyway and I'm glad I did. You'll get to see everything from your side of the ship but the port side will see it first. Also, the port side usually has the best view at the dock. It really doesn't matter much because you'll be walking on deck and admiring the view from the dining rooms on the ship. I could only envision a problem if the weather was ghastly and tons of people were up against the windows on the port side and you didn't think to go where they weren't -- for example the gym or a cocktail lounge or hallway. Hopefully, that won't happen. Enjoy your cruise.
Jul 8th, 2004, 04:01 AM

The starboard side side will have far more open ocean viewing. But my opinion only- on your glacier viewing day- get out on a front deck- far better is to see it all. I have to say- my last 9-03 trip - the starboard side of the ship had NO view of Margerie nor the Grand Pacific glacier. The ship just 180' turned starboard and LEFT.
Jul 8th, 2004, 04:04 AM

Also STRONGLY consider adding a boat tour of Kenai Fjords your sailing day out of Seward- just an excellent trip with far closer views of varied wildlife and glacier. Consider taking the regular run of the Alaska RR and getting an 11:30am boat trip, they will store your bags. Seward is just too good to pass though with all the excellent activities available.
Jul 8th, 2004, 05:04 AM

Yes it does matter - That's where the saying "POSH" came from - Port out, Starboard home !!
Jul 8th, 2004, 09:16 AM

Haven't been to Alaska and can't advise, but otherwise it really does not matter. What is called port side is not always facing port.
Jul 8th, 2004, 12:37 PM

Haven't been to Alaska and can't advise, but otherwise it really does not matter. What is called port side is not always facing port.

Sorry to disagree but on one way Alaska cruises going south- the port side will have far more land viewing than the starboard. But overall- ships are sailing way more open ocean than in the past.
Jul 8th, 2004, 01:00 PM

I am curious about this same question regarding a British Isles/Norwegian Fjord cruise rountrip Dover England.

I have a starboard balcony and am wondering if the views will be just as nice as on the portside. My husband and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary and, since he loves photography, I would love for him to have the best views possible.

What do you think?
Jul 13th, 2004, 08:09 AM

Of course the side of the ship matters! The sides are what keep the water out...
Jul 29th, 2004, 11:09 AM

Hi,
Not meaning to sound stupid or anything like that...., but is the portside on the right hand side when standing towards the 'nose' of the ship?

1st time cruiser....can you tell?
Jul 29th, 2004, 11:13 AM

As you are facing the "pointy end" of the ship, port is to your left, and starboard is to your right.