Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Alaska Cruise-Port or Starboard-Does it matter?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the early stages of planning a first timer trip to Alaska and considering a one way cruise either northbound or southbound. Common sense tells me to get a starboard side stateroom going north, port going south. Is this true?
Also,if I wanted to add a land tour before or after the cruise, would it be less expensive to do it on my own (I'm an experienced travel planner) or to depend on what packages the cruise company offers? Obviously I haven't selected a cruise ship yet.
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 04:50 AM

It's usually far cheaper to do land tours in Alaska on your own. I'm not sure it makes much difference which side of the ship you're on. If you have a balcony stateroom, then you could see wildlife from either side, and you might see icebergs and glaciers from either side depending on which direction the captain chooses to enter a bay. I doubt you'll be spending your days at sea in your stateroom; most passengers are on deck or in the public rooms and go to the side of the ship where viewings are taking place. (They are announced.)
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 08:37 AM

We did one-way Whittier-Vancouver on Princess June 2008. We rented a car for 8 days prior to cruise and drove to Denali and Kenai Peninsula - having a car gave us greater flexibility and it was also less expensive.

Going thru the Inside Passage it does not really matter which side of the ship. During the day of glacier viewing the captain turned the ship so that did not matter either.

Make sure you budget enough money on port days to do some side trips - either booking thru cruiseline or on own - these quickly add to cost of trip but without getting outside the towns at which the ship stops, there is not much to see except jewelery and t-shirt shops. It is well worth it to book plane, helicopter, train, small boat side trips.
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 11:15 AM

It doesn't matter much on which side you are, in addition to your view you can see both sides from the promenade and pool levels, and in your cabin on TV.

If you see on TV or from the window something you like, you can get out for a panoramic view on the pool level.

If a "scenic cruise" like Tracy Arm is scheduled, the ship will be sitting there to give you plenty of time to absorb the beauty.
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 12:10 PM

If you sail Glacier Bay, AND only want your glacier viewing from your cabin, you need a port side balcony. Do realize, this is a small portion of the overall available viewing, which is superior from outside decks.

I have sailed both directions, and prefer southbound. Main reason being the daylight sailing of inside Vancouver Island. Northbound is mostly at night.

Interior Alaska touring is far superior independent, and simple to do. Point to point group travel is extremely limited, which is the cruisetours. Most people also do not really know what they are purchasing, and make many wrong assumptions. Descriptions are vague.

Do your homework, no matter how you travel the interior. It is necessary so to plan your priorities. Go for as long as you can afford. Less than 5 days requires modest plans.
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 12:17 PM

I was very happy to be on the port side going south. I enjoyed sitting on my balcony away from the crowds and watching the shore go by.

During Glacier Bay I walked all over the ship looking for a great view without having to look through blue glass. I ended up on my balcony and the balcony at the back of the ship, depending on which way we were turned.

If at all possible, do your own excursions and land tour.

www.cruisecritic.com has very friendly, knowledgeabl people on their forum.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the helpful information. I'll continue my planning and see what happens.