Starboard or port

Oct 14th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Starboard or port

We will be traveling on the seven seas mariner in june 08, Vancouver to Seward. Is there a big difference in the view from the Starboard to the Port Side? We are traveling with our three teenagers and the 3 person suite available is on the port side. Please advise. thanks
Oct 14th, 2007, 01:33 PM

Are you doing a return trip or disembarking in Seward for a land trip? Basically the starboard side has the most scenery on the way to Seward but you are cruising between islands as well so there is something to see both sides. If it is just one way I would choose starboard.
Oct 14th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, we will not have enough time for a land trip. Thanks for your advice.
Oct 15th, 2007, 06:26 AM

Are you sailing Glacier Bay or College Fjords, if either, and you want glacier viewing, you need port side.

Otherwise, it won't make much difference what side you are on. On the Inside Passage, views are on both sides part of the trip.

Take a look at your route map, most all cruise ships no longer sail coastal to Seward and make a cut across the Gulf- open ocean.
Oct 16th, 2007, 08:45 PM

I sailed Vancouver to Seward on Crystal and my suite was on the port side. It didn't make much difference as the Captain turned the ship while we were in Glacier Bay and College Fjord so that passengers on both sides of the ship got a good view. As far as when sailing along the coast, we weren't always close enough to land to see much. When there was something worth seeing, I went to the observation lounge at the front of the ship.

If you are booking two suites (one for yourself and one for the teens), perhaps if you booked them on opposite sides of the ship you could have the best of both vantage points

Linda Coffman
Contributor, Fodor's Alaska Ports of Call