Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is Southwest's Wanna Get Away fare all about?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've never flown SW and need a flight probably next week as we just had a death in the family. Looking at SW website the Wanna Get Away prices are really cheap. So what's the catch? I've read the info from the site explaining the difference between fares. Just want to know if anyone has used this fare w/o hassle. I can't deal with anything complicated right now.
Thanks!
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 01:30 PM

Southwest is great. No problems. They sometimes have some really low prices on some flights. My experience is the ones that leave at 7 a.m. or arrive at 11 p.m. are much cheaper than the ones that leave at more convinient times. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are sometimes cheaper. There are a limited number of cheaper seats on each flight. It the Wanna Get Away flight fits your needs and is available, get it now! It won't be there later.
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 03:19 PM

The "Wanna Get Away" fare is usually an internet fare and a really low fare that is available only for a limited time.

If you book a WGA fare and later change your mind and change your flight(s), then you will have to pay a higher fare for the changed flights.

So, if you are certain of the dates and times and departure, go ahead and book the flights.

As maryanntex has said, grab those fares now if you can. They are not always available.
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 03:23 PM

Make reservations. If the price goes up later, you're in luck, you get to keep your reservation at lower price.

If the price goes down, you can change your reservation to lower price, and keep the rest on account for a year - for future use by you or anybody you will give the information to.

"wanna get away" is just a catchy phrase they use.

And sorry about your loss.
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 03:25 PM

One thing you should know about SW: the seats are not assigned. Check in on-line 24 hrs in advance.

You will see a letter and a number on your boarding pass. Everybody goes on the plane in order of those letters (A, B, C) and numbers to get a seat.

The earlier you check in, the better will be the seat.
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. We'll know tomorrow when the funeral is so will make flight arrangements as soon as we know. Hopefully the fares will be there tomorrow. Can't believe how much cheaper the fare is, less than half.
Thanks Faina for the heads up about seating--we'll have 5 of us so hopefully we'll get seats together.
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 06:11 PM

we'll have 5 of us so hopefully we'll get seats together

To be sure you can all sit together, check in on-line EXACTLY 24 hours in advance of the flight.
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 06:29 PM

Sometimes other passengers on Southwest will accommodate you (if you ask or ask a flight attendant) and move if you wish to sit together - assuming you don't force them to move to a center seat or something. If simply moving up or back one row to the same position is all that's required, the average person would probably do it. This I see as one of the benefits of Southwest's no-assigned-seats policy. On other airlines, you can rearrange seats but usually not until the front door has been closed.
Old Dec 12th, 2008, 06:25 AM

Christine - just a further clarification on seating. When you check in online, check in for all 5 in your party. You'll get a letter and a number. If as mentioned you check in exactly at the 24 hr time before your flight, you should be able to get an A letter - which is the first group to board. SW will call, for ex, A 1-15 to board first, then A 16-30, etc. Others have mentioned that it's open seating, so if only part of your group is in A 1-15, they should be able to get 5 seats together and save seats for the others. If everyone is in that first group, getting 5 together should be very doable.
Old Dec 12th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

ok, I made reservations with SW. I'm surprised (pleasantly) at how much cheaper they are than other airlines, especially with less than a week notice. Here's hoping we have no problems---I watched that show "Airline" several years ago where people had issues with SW!
Thanks again for all your help!!
Old Dec 12th, 2008, 01:16 PM

Just for reassurance - people have issues with all airlines these days. Every time I've flown Southwest it's been a good experience. As long as you're aware of their boarding process, chances are you'll be fine.
Old Dec 12th, 2008, 01:20 PM

Seats A 1-15 are for Business Select passengers, so there is no way you can get a number that low. Not too worry--just didn't want you to be surprised if you check in right at 24 hours prior and get a surprisingly high number.

Also, remember that Southwest doesn't serve food, only peanuts and pretzels. If it's a long flight, you might want to bring along a sandwich.
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 04:25 AM

maryann is correct about A 1-15. I was trying to give an example of how the process works and should've clarified.

I've been flying SW since they started and their only route was HOU - DAL. Have yet to encounter anything like those events on the TV show. Their personnel are among the best in the business IMO.

Old Dec 15th, 2008, 04:42 AM

Another plus about Southwest is that they don't charge extra for your 1st checked bag, so what you've paid is your final cost. One less expense, nice huh?
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 07:52 AM

I fly SW whenever I can- have never had a bad experience with them and the good thing is that you can cancel reservation without a penalty- just have to use it within a year.

Old Dec 15th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

I hit the online check in button at 10:06 for out 10:05 flight and we got A30-33.
Ya, I love that there is no checked bag fee.
Just curious--how do we know what time we actually board? It's a 10:05am flight. And if you aren't in line at your time do you loose your spot?
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 03:22 PM

Most of the time, pre-boarding starts 30' before the take-off. Don't remember business class or wheelchair first, then group A, then small children, then B and C.

I think if you have an A, and arrive when B is boarding, they will let you right in, but not sure.
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 03:49 PM

Don't forget to check in online again 24 hours before your return.
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 03:59 PM

Christine: Good for you! That's a good number!

I always try to be at the gate about an hour before flight time.

The problem is the check-in line. You never know how many people in front of you need four or five bins to put all their stuff in - then they forget their boarding pass and leave it in one of the bins - ai ya ya ya!

In really tight situations, I've arrived at the departure gate just as the A groups were lining up to get on the plane, about 20 minutes before takeoff. Really won't advise cutting it so close, if you didn't have to.

Look for the metal posts. They will have numbers at the top for you to find the post that's designated for your group. Each post allows five passengers.
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Got it, that's what I guessed on the boarding times. We usually arrive for any flight at least an hour b4.
Now just hoping the weather tmoro co-operates!!
Thanks again everyone for your help and replies!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -