Diamond Princess minor mishap?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2004, 12:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A heads up for people meeting passengers in Seattle on May 22 that they may find the ship delayed. I can't find a news report on the situation but it seems the ship whacked into the breakwater (high winds?) and appears to be spending the night in Victoria.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:01 PM

I was on this sailing, there is plenty of information on the cruisecritic.com message boards.
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Really? What an odd experience that must have been. The ship seemed to get going in the middle of the night. Did you get to Seattle on time?
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:19 PM

Nope. More than 1,000 missed their flights. Total nightmare but was still a great trip & would do again. Can't be that positive about the next group that are skipping Juneau & Victoria though. We did not even know how bad the damage was until the following morning at aboud 5:30 am. I knew we were in trouble when I woke up at 3am and saw we were just pulling out of Victoria.
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:21 PM

ps, we did miss our flight, got off at 12:30 pm and I guess the ship was not fully emptied until around 5:30pm.
Old May 24th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Do you mean the next sailing is taking place but that they are missing Victoria and Juneau? I've never been on ship that hit something. Did you feel much of a jolt or bump? Were you compensated or reimbursed for the missed flights?
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:19 PM

That's correct, the next cruise will skip those 2 ports. They were offered a $500 ship credit or allowed to cancel with no penalty, with Princess playing airfare too. As for us, nada at this point. It was such an odd situation. Thankfully we weren't penalized by Alaska Air, just went immediately to our next flight, and now Alaskan has earned a loyal customer forever.

We were sitting in the dining room when we struck the dock. There was a really loud thumping or grinding noise, and all of us were bouncing in the seats. We later learned that this was the ship's propulsion? grinding the ocean's floor. We were actually laughing with the table mates saying we never heard a noise like that before, and hopefully we'll never hear it again!
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I was curious about how it all went. Around 3:00 am or so we heard loud thuds (I was imagining them banging out dents!) and I wondered if that woke up most of the passengers. What an interesting night that must have been for the divers involved.
Old May 25th, 2004, 10:08 AM

April, my husband and I were on that cruise. The noises you heard at 3 am was the anchor chain hitting the boat.
We watched the whole docking spectacle from our balconey. We knew from the beginning that it was an ill-fated attempt to make the berth. You should have seen the commotion on the bridge. When we got down to the Promenade deck, there were all kinds of ship officers running around with cell phones in their hands.
Good to hear that next group of passengers got compensation plus the cruise. We sure felt sorry for them.
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Wow, JudithE, that was some clanking! Thanks for the info - I was curious.