Shore Excursions in Sitka and Victoria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are cruising in September and want to do a whale watching trip in Sitka and the Buchart Gardens in Victoria. This ship is charging $99 and $49, respectively, for each tour.

Would it be easy and less expensive to do these on our own? Should we plan ahead or wait until we are in port?

Thanks
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 07:49 PM

Certainly in Victoria, and I think in Sitka also, the ship is docked (Victoria)/anchored(Sitka) pretty far from downtown. There are usually taxis and some independent tour operators nearby when you go ashore, but one advantage of booking the ship's excursions is that everything, including transportation, is arranged for you in advance. Depending on how long your ship is in port, you might not have time to find what you're looking for once you get on shore--our scheduled stop in Victoria was only 4 hours. My limited experience with Holland America's shore excursions is that they're expensive but very, very good.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 03:35 AM

I don't think you have been to Sitka before??? Most everything is walkable without mobility limitations and the tender dock is right downtown. Unfortunately- Major Marine does not direct book ship passengers. But consider one of the small independents for a private tour- listed at www.sitka.org Sitka's Secrets is one- also consider adding St. Lazaria Island if you are interested in puffins- only rookery for easy touring on the inside passage- BUT you need to be there before mid Sept- they are gone shortly after. For clarification- these are not whale watches although humpbacks are frequently seen. They are more varied wildlife touring. As for Butchart Gardens- a GREAT deal has to do with HOW long you are in port- the ship docks at Odgen Pier- shuttles available to the Inner Harbor- from there it is at least a 30 drive to Butchart Gardens. If you have a long port day- you can take the city bus, or the Greyline shuttle that picks up behind the Empress - for clairfication- this is DIFFERENT than the tour buses lined up out front. If you only arrive at 7pm- then again- you really need to consider the ship tour. If you have more than 2 people going perhaps look into a cab or car service? Again, my opinion only- the prices are not out of line. Yes I can get to Butchart cheaper- but I have been there many times and can get there in my sleep so no getting lost etc.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. The ship docs in Victoria from 8 - midnight. I have been to Buchart Gardens several time but my husband has not. I guess it would be easier in this case to do the shore excursion through Holland America.

We are very excited about Sitka but really want a whale watching tour. Any other ideas?
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 04:25 AM

The top area for whale watching is Juneau with humpbacks 100% of the trips- if you want orcas consider Victoria BC or Friday Harbor Wa.