Which ship is the best?

Sep 25th, 2002, 04:14 PM
stephanie

Which ship is the best?

Hi

So far, the information we have gathered about the cruise ships is confusing. There are several lines like Regal and Victoria saying theirs are 5 star. Which one is actually the best? Please share your experience if you have been on Yangtze cruise. Thanks!!!

Sep 26th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Susie

We were on a Victoria ship last October as part of a Pacfic Delights tour. The word I'd use to describe the ship is "adequate".It's transportation. The food was okay-Americanized versions of Chines with a few dishes like spaghetti in meat sauce thrown in. Cabins are tiny and a bit worn, but hte view out the window is great. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We had a water leak in our cabin that got the carpet all wet and the cabin girls spent the day in theree with hairdryers to dry it out.
The majority of the passengers were Germans ( who in my opinion have to be the rudest travellers on earth). The sights you will see are marvellous. if I ever do this trip again I will use a different company's ship.

Sep 26th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Dave

We were on Victoria II in May for four nights. We had a cabin upgrade so there was enough room. The food was regular Chinese food, with some attempts at American-style food. The young crew was very good and helpful. I would go with them again, although I would probably prefer East King or Queen, which are supposed to be tops. Most of the people on our trip were English-speaking.

Sep 27th, 2002, 02:13 PM
Maureen Murphy

When we booked with China Focus I was most disappointed that we would not be on the Victoria line of ships as they are advertised as being tops in china. Well, our river boat cruise was tops....in every way....clean and great service. When in the lock on the Yantzee, we were right next to one of the Victoria cruise ships. Up close and personal, as I peeked in the windows, it looked just like our quarters.
I think most people check these info websites for cost comparison, etc.
I am still the cheer leader for
CHINA FOCUS....great outfit!!!!
I think when you are retired you have more time to research out the best deal for the buck....when we worked, we just flipped the card and were with all the 5-star tours and hotels....now, since our Blue Chippers are now Penny Stocks, we look for the most for our money.
Happy Travelling...our ship was the MS Dipper!!!!

Sep 27th, 2002, 02:23 PM
stephanie

Hi Susie and Dave,

Your comments are very much appreciated. At this stage, I won't want to rule out Victoria but I am inclined toward East King. Thanks again.

Sep 30th, 2002, 09:47 PM
tc

We were on the East King last September. It is by far the best. We saw many other ships and most looked unsafe at best. Our crew was very sweet and helpful, the food was good, the beds comfortable and the commentary through the gorges was excellent.