Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Regal Cruise on the Yangtze, impressions, comments?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Linda

Has anyone gone on a Yangtze River Cruise with Regal? I'm booked on one in November, a 5 night upstream. I'm already gathering from previous posters that it's too long. How about the cabins, food, ease of getting from cruise ship to shore attractions (heard one horror story about that), service, etc. Thanks!

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Linda

ttt

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 12:23 PM
gail

We did the Yangtze with Regal two years ago October. We were on the Princess Elaine. I understand all of their 3 ships are alike. It is totally different from Princess or any US cruise line. However, you are in China. Cabins were small, but comfortable and clean. Bathrooms were very small - the type of shower that gets the entire bathroom wet. However, all of us in our group of 14 adjusted well and had a wonderful time. The food was OK, you will not gain any weight on this ship. Weather was cooler than we had anticipated so do bring an umbrella and slicker as it does rain often. The shore attractions are very well run. When the ship arrives there are always buses to bring you to the sight. We departed from Chongking and sailed to Wuhan. The service was very good - they were so willing to accomodate us. Don't worry you will really enjoy the ship. I just read recently that Regal China is rated above Victoria (the competition). Enjoy the trip.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Linda

Gail...Thanks so much for your great description of your cruise experience with Regal. Bottom line ..."had a wonderful time" is just what I wanted to hear!

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 01:29 AM
Bob

Just returned from this trip on Wednesday.<BR><BR>The Regal cruise ship had very good service. We became friends with many of the very friendly staff. Food was okay but I now do not need Chinese for a few years. If you are on the Princess Jeannie you will soon meet Willie...a great guy.<BR><BR>The comment about small cabins cannot be emphasized enough. When you first open the door you will gasp as our group did. A closet is more like it but you will soon adjust, find where to stuff things and get out of the cabin as much as possible. Just listen to you tour members responses as they open the cabin door for the first time. Good for a laugh at the first dinner. The picture of the cabin in the brochure is a masterpiece!<BR><BR>They always have some suites available that you can upgrade to at a negotiable rate if you have the money and want to. They start at an additional $800 for the 5 day trip and move down from there until sold if you do not tell anyone what you paid.<BR><BR>Great trip! You will have a fantastic experience.