Reload this Page >

Victoria Cruise on the Yangtze- I Want To Know Your Impression

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Susie

Soliciting information on the Victoria Cruise Line on the Yangtze. How big was your cabin? Did your suitcase fit in the room? How were the beds (too small, too soft, too hard)? How was the food? What was the entertainment like on board?<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Elizabeth

You can get a lot of info from their website: victoriacruises.com. As far as size of cabin, softness of beds, food, etc., I must ask compared to what? Compared to a 5-star hotel room, the cabins are very small, beds small, etc. but for a cruise ship it's about what you would expect unless you expect the Love Boat!<BR><BR>The Victoria cabins are larger than those on Regal but smaller than East King/Queen. On some ships the beds seem harder than others but you can ask for a foam pad, of which they have a few available. Some people like harder beds -- I find them fine. The food is adequate -- that is, you'll find something you like at every meal. The breakfast buffets aren't as elaborate as those at hotels on land, but they have a selection of eggs, cereals, breads, fruits, and more traditional Chinese fare like congee, vegetables, and other things. Lunch is also buffet and occasionally a "Western" dish or two pop up, like hamburgers, "pizza," tuna and chicken salad plus the usual stir-fry meats and veggies. Rice. Dinners are served family style with about ten dishes altogether.<BR><BR>The entertainment is so-so in my opinion but many people like it a lot. "Minority" dance performances, a "fashion" show, a talent show where the crew performs and some of them are very good. They invite passengers to perform too and that is VERY spotty! If you remember The Gong Show, you'll know what I mean.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Bill

Did the cruise in 2001, enjoyed it. However when mu wife saw the cabin she suggested we upgrade to a suite, the right choice, it was excellent, made the cruise. If I remember it was only $800 more. Worth every penny. Do it, you will not regret it!

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Les

Bill,<BR>I hope that one day I can make enough money to use the adjective "only" in front of $800.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 10:45 AM
carol

Don't miss the "fashion show". We almost skipped it as we thought it sounded not that interesting. But it turned out to be a facinating display of Chinese clothing throughout history -- robes worn by warriors, emperors, theatrical performers, etc. The outfits were incredibly beautiful, some were thousands of years old, and it was a very enjoyable lesson on Chinese culture and artistry.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Gee thanks Les

That was a really helpful contribution to the topic of this post. Who cares whether Bill thinks $800 is a small or large of money??? He was just sharing his experience.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Les

Gee thanks ...<BR>Perhaps you'd care to explain why my post offended you?

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 05:56 PM
rebecca

Les, I happen to agree with you.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 07:22 PM
xxx

Because it's snide comments like yours that keep potential posters from sharing anything on this forum.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 03:35 AM
rebecca

Gee thanks and xxx, I didn't think Les's comments were snide, more like shocked. He was just stating a fact that applies to many people who enjoy travelling and don't have money to burn, myself included. If you think $800 each for an upgrade is cheap, good for you.