Day pass @Beaches Negril Resort Jamaica

Feb 12th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Day pass @Beaches Negril Resort Jamaica

Has anyone been to Beaches Negril Resort? We will be cruising to Mobay and heard the beaches on Negril side is better than those at Mobay. I love the looks of the pool with the shallow water and the beach looks good to. My travel agent said that it will take about 2hrs to get to Negril. Is this right? I have also heard it takes only 45minutes. What time would you head back to the ship--don't want to miss it. We are thinking of using Carolyn Barrnet for taxi services to the resort--kind of scared of going out on our on due to things I have read.
Thanks,
Kimberley
Feb 12th, 2004, 02:52 PM

Assuming mobay means Montego Bay, it does take about 2-3 hours to get to Negril & it's some ride -- bumpy, narrow roads through some "neighborhoods" that make you realize "you're not in Kansas anymore". It's also not worth it once you get there. It's not bad or anything but why would you want to spend 4+ hours of your cruise vacation in a car or bus for an "average" beach? You can get relatively the same thing in Montego Bay. If you were staying there, that would be a different story.

If you've never been to Jamaica, I'd climb Dunn River Falls in Ocho Rios instead. Bring your own water shoes; you can't climb w/o them & they will make you rent theirs. The vendors are a little pushy but the falls are beautiful & the climb is not too hard. (I did it & I'm not very agile). If you insist on going to Negril, go to Rick's American Cafe instead. There's no beach, but you can lay out & the cliff diving is spectacular.

I believe helicoptor rides are available to Negril if you have the $$$$.

Enjoy.
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Tess

We've stayed at Beaches Negril--it doesn't take 2-3 hours to get there--it took us 1 1/2 hours to get to Beaches from the Montego Bay airport and 1 hour going back (early early morning so traffic was less). Negril Beaches are absolutely totally gorgeous but I agree with Trish--don't waste your shore time with 3 hours of driving. Have to say, though, that our family will never forget the bus ride--everyone drives like maniacs--the kids compared it to a Disney ride!

Feb 13th, 2004, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Hello again! Thanks for the resent posts. I don't want to do Dunns River falls beacause I will be traveling with my 3yr old and grandmother(78). We don't really mind the drive. I remember how it was when we went to St. Thomas-scared me to death how they drive. But, only if it is between 45min and 2hr drive one way. Our 3yr old gets bored easily (imagine that!), so it is okay if we only get to spend about 3 to 4hrs at the resort. I am open for other options though. Have also been looking at Doctors Cave Beach, Rose Hall beach, and Margaritaville. YS falls--does this have a beach close to it and it is very pretty? Our goal for this cruise (our first) is to relax, see pretty beaches and turquoise blue crystal waters. So would you choose go to Beaches Resort or one of the other beaches or YSfalls? Thanks so much!
Kimberley