Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Beaches Sandy Bay Resort Info/Scuba Diving in Jamaica

Mar 19th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Can you tell me about scuba diving at Beaches Sandy Bay in Jamaica? I would love any general information about the resort from someone that has been there.
What was great and what was not?
Can you beach dive? What were the restaurants like? Did you have to travel to Beaches Negril alot? How did you get into town and what was the cost? Thanks K
Mar 20th, 2006, 02:04 PM

We stayed there last May and really regretted it. The food was terrible & the pool is very small right in front of the stage. We never got into the pool until we went to Beaches Negril. It is a much nicer resort with much better food. The best food that we found at Sandy Bay was the grilled cheese sandwiches. Pretty sad. The kids club consisted of the kids watching a dvd while the nannys went around and painted their faces. I have a very active 2 year old. This did not suit him at all. He only stayed a short time. We kept him on the beach with us as did most of the other parents. I've traveled to Jamaica and Sandals quite a bit and ignored the reviews of this resort due to Sandals reputation. Boy did I regret it. I would definately save up the money for Beaches Negril or I wouldn't go. As my 9 year old said Sandy Bay is lame.
Mar 21st, 2006, 07:27 AM

We stayed at Beaches Negril last summer with our 16, 15, 14, and 8 year old. As elovell said, Beaches Sandy Bay is much smaller, and we found that there were lots of "day trippers" from there over at Beaches Negril since we had water slides, lazy river, etc.... not to mention a MUCH larger beach. Beaches Sandy Bay seemed to appeal to a quieter and younger crowd.

As for beach diving, you really can't. However, there are 2 drift dives per day included with your stay, and they take you out not too far from the resort. The dive boat is shared by guests at Sandals Negril, and both Beaches. They also have snorkel trips that are great for those that aren't divers. My little one and I saw lots of very cool fish, and an octopus during a snorkeling trip.

Getting to town...cabs run up and down the main drag (Norman Manley Blvd) and are very reasonable. You can have one of the employees at the hotel arrange for one.

If you'd like more info on Beaches Negril I'd be glad to post...I just didn't want to give you info on that resort that if you weren't interested in it.

Mar 21st, 2006, 09:33 AM

I was at BSB 2 years ago with my older children. The food was pretty good we thought, especially at the 2 restaurants that you order from the menu.

Went SCUBA diving. They take you on a boat over near Booby Cay.

My wife and I spent a lot of time next door at Sandals. BSB is a nice place and we had a good time there. Only wish the 2 pools were bigger.

You can take a scenic walk down the beach to be in Beaches Negril in about 45 minutes.
Mar 25th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Tony, Was the diving good? We have been diving for years, but this is my daughters 1st good experiance. It looks like the snorkeling is good. We also have a 10 year old.
Mar 25th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Suzski
What did you think of the diving? Was it hard to get a reservation? Do you have to book early for the entire week?
As for dining, is it hard to get a reservation? K
Mar 30th, 2006, 11:48 AM

Sonogal, sorry it took so long to get back to you....we actually just got back from a trip to Jamaica. As for the scuba diving, we had a good time but were unimpressed with the equipment which was not in very good condition and the large number of people put on the dive boat. Since there are 5 in our family that are certified, it was a bit of a struggle getting signed up. When we were there in June, there was one dive boat shared by Sandals, BSB and BN, and the boat originated at Sandals. We did have to sign up pretty early to get a spot on the boat.

As for the dive itself, if you're an avid diver and have done lots of dives the world over, you will probably be unimpressed as the sea life is not as plentiful as in other locales. However, I've only been certified for a year and a half (as have the kids), so we found it very enjoyable.

As for the restaurants, we did make reservations the first day or two that we were there just so we could ensure we had a spot, but we decided to go back to the Teppanyaki as we had an incredible teppanyaki chef, and we had no problem getting reservations a day in advance for that.