Costa Maya information

Search

Costa Maya information

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Maya information

We're planning a cruise out of New Orleans next year and I noticed Carnival--and maybe some of the others?--has Costa Maya as a destination. I've never heard of this place. What is it like? How does it compare with Playa del Carmen (which I've heard is wonderful)?
Thanks!

Sue
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 05:14 PM

We went to Costa Maya a couple of years ago. You can take a cruise excursion to snorkle or view the Mayan ruins.

There's a trinket village at the end of the pier which was what I considered a "rip off." You couldn't even buy a beer in the Mexican village for less than $3. It was cheaper on the cruise ship.

After the devastation in New Orleans over the last couple of days, I'm not sure NO will be accepting cruise ships for quite a while.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 05:24 PM
P_M

Unfortunately Budman is right. It's hard to imagine N.O. will be the same within the next year. Your cruise will probably depart from another city.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 03:07 AM

Costa Maya is a port that cruise lines built. Right off of the pier, is a shopping area where prices are higher then Cozumel. If you just stay at the pier, you will not like the port.

People who do things at the port (get away from the pier area), love the area. We did a beach trip which was 30 minutes away (Uvero Beach). The water is absolutely gorgeous in this area - some of the most beautiful water I have ever seen. Others raved about the ruins trip and others in our group took a cab into town and hung out at the beach there and thought it was a very natural/beautiful place - it reminded them of a Corona commercial.

If you go there - plan to do something other then just walk around.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 11:38 AM

We visited Costa Maya in July. We took a cab into town & did not find it at all beautiful. It was a 1/4 mile long street, with beach on one side & shops & restaurants all over the place. There was a nice little restaurant just when you arrived, owned by ex-pat Canadians - very clean.
Otherwise, just another Mexican city where they chase you on the street if you walk out of a store without buying anything.