Purchase Upgrade After Final Payment?

Jan 24th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Purchase Upgrade After Final Payment?

I'm booked on the Caribbean Princess with an inside cabin guarantee. I just made our final payment. Every category is high now, but if I see that balcony cabins come down in price, but are still higher than what I paid for an inside, will Princess let me pay for an upgrade or is it too late to upgrade after final payment is made? I'm not looking for a free upgrade or cabin credit, just curious if I could get a bargain before we sail. Thanks.
Jan 24th, 2004, 12:13 PM

Yes - you should be able to upgrade. I would call your TA. I did this last year.
Feb 4th, 2004, 08:01 AM

You can even upgrade at the pier. Sometimes you can get a really good deal at that time.
Feb 4th, 2004, 06:59 PM

Princess really doesn't do pier upgrades like RCCL and Celebrity does. If there are any suites or balconies available a week or so before sailing, they give complimentary upgrades out. So when you get to the pier, any cabins left are the less desirable cabins.
Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:12 PM

We have paid our final balance on a cruise to Alaska on the Summit later this month. I am now wishing we had an outside cabin but funds are tight. Anyone know if it might be cheaper to try and organise something via our tour operator at home of does anyone have any experience of upgrading costs at the time of boarding the ship?

thanks
Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

I was the original poster and here's what happened..I kept watching Travelocity to see which cabins were available. When I saw a great balcony open up about a month before we left, I called Princess and asked if I could indeed pay for an upgrade. The rep told me that I could pay the difference for a balcony and even told me which cabins were available. I immediately contacted my TA with the info and instead of the inside guarantee which by this time had been assigned, I got a balcony mid-ship for about $200 difference. It never hurts to ask. Good Luck.