Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Anyone book an independent snorkel tour in Costa Maya?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. We are trying to save $$ & heard booking ind. tours is less expensive at the pier. Is is safe to do this in Costa Maya? (we worry about getting back to the boat on time). Also, can anyone recommend a good snorkel operator there?
Thanks,
~Marina
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 05:51 AM

Been doing the same research for a cruise in December. Many of the Costa Maya snorkel tours seem to be in the 1-1/2 hour range, so obviously it wouldn't be a problem time-wise. I think it would be safe to book at the pier or in the little adjacent town. There are also some local dive shops with websites that might set you up in advance for something more lengthy... like 3 different spots over a 3-hour trip, as you can find on Cozumel.

Another consideration: I'll be looking for a trip that doesn't have 30 other people along!

I was looking for a snorkel tour out to the coral atoll that's 20 miles out. It's supposed to be some of the best snorkeling in the Western Hemisphere, but it would certainly be a long boat-ride.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 01:06 PM

We've been to Costa Maya 3 or 4 times and are snorklers with our own equipment. There is a beach right NEXT to the pier. The pier is long so they have 'trollys' pulled by golf carts to get you off pier. Just walk to the beach right there! You'll see it from the ship. They have a rope out in the water but all the snorklers snorkle on the other side! The snorkling is pretty good. When we were there last year, they now rent chaises for, I think, $5 a day. And there are trees on the beach for shade. This is all we've done in Costa Maya. Plus checking out the shops & chickies at the port. And there are musicians and 'shows' among the shops. Its always been an enjoyable day! Never seen a nearby town -- Where? how far?? Maybe next time we'll go somewhere but haven't seen the need to yet! Keep Smiling..........Bonnie from NC coast!.............
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 01:37 PM

The "town" to which I referred (and perhaps I should have used the quotation marks) is Mahahual (sp?). Described as a half-mile from the cruise ship pier. Sounds as though it has a better beach than the pier area.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 05:34 PM

We were at this town when we were in Costa Maya last year on a cruise. It is the way perhaps Cancun once was before it became so Americanized. Dirt roads a tiny beach area very small where chaises can be rented for $5.00. Also there are great massages on the beach for $25.00 for one full hour! It was very relaxing. Some people from our cruise ship went off snorkeling with a local town man. They came back hours later and said it was the best snorkeling they had every done. Good luck.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 10:47 AM

Check with Shoretrips at shoretrips.com about doing independent tours. You might also want to get a guidebook, Fodor's guidebooks are excellent, and see which companies they recommend in these ports.

As for getting back to the ship on time, check the time before you leave the ship and simply plan to arrive back to the ship 30-60 minutes prior to the ship's scheduled time. There is usually a line to get back on the ship from the ship shore excursions, so get back early enough to avoid the lines. Also, it helps to avoid any anxiety about missing the ship.

Best Regards,
Julia
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 11:17 AM

We were in Costa Maya a few weeks ago. The "downtown" as they refer to it, is about 1/2 mile of tiny beach and shops separated by a wide road. It was a $5 cab ride from the pier.

Another Mexican town with skinny dogs (makes me sad) and shopkeepers who chase you if you have the audacity to leave their shops without purchasing anything!