Reload this Page >

Port Call at Costa Maya

Search

Port Call at Costa Maya

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 06:53 AM
RC

Port Call at Costa Maya

Need information about Costa Maya port of call in Mexico. What is there to do at the port and can you arrange your own excursion to some of the Mayan ruins?<BR>Thanks

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:09 AM
Nanette

http://community.webshots.com/album/35984771zBsVyR<BR><BR>You might wish to check out some pictures at the above addy. I've got alot of webshots photo albums. You'll find alot of cruise shots from different ports. <BR><BR>In April, we had a BLAST in Costa Maya. We spent the day at Uvero Beach. (Jungle Beach Break). $30 per person with an open bar all day. The water was "OK" on the beach, but t'was gorgeous at the end of the pier. We were kayaking out there, feeding the fish and swimming all day.<BR><BR>As I'd done all of the "ruins stuff", we just wanted to relax. The port itself has a HUGE pool with a swim-up bar, live music, food, hammocks. Really, you could spend the day right there if you weren't doing an excursion.<BR><BR>Have fun. You'll enjoy Costa Maya -whatever you decide on!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:45 AM
CB

Was in Costa Maya last Oct and the port was still a work in progress for the Mexican Gov't. The port is located in a Mangrove swamp miles away from any town or populated area. The Workers are even bussed in from Playa del Carmen or Cozumel by the shop owners. The Mayan ruins are about an hours drive from the port along some not too modern roads.<BR>We did see some Taxis available and I'm sure you could arrange with them to go to the ruins but remember you will be in a very remote part of Mexico and if you should run into trouble it will be hrs before you get any help. In this port I would definitely do a tour.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:54 AM
CB

In Costa Maya itself there is a small shopping plaza surrounding their salt water pool(be warned it was not too clean) and they had a free Folkloric show they did for the cruise passengers by the pool which was very good.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:24 AM
Lenore

I totally agree with CB. Costa Maya was built strictly as a place for cruise ships to dock. The area surrounding it (a cicular shopping and restaurant plaza) was still being finished and was less than half full when we were there last Christmas. There isn't much of a beach and it's not close to anything really. I would definitely take one of the ship's shore excursions. We did one of the Mayan ruins and were very satisfied with our choice.