Reload this Page >

Can I get a fax on a ship?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 05:23 AM
Arron

I am in the planning stages of a 7-day cruise. I run a small business and it will be important that I can send and receive faxes (maybe about 20-30 pages per day). Do all of the ships have fax machines? Are they in the cabins or will I have to go to the purser's desk?<BR><BR>Usually, some hotels charge expensive rates (such as $1 or $2 per page). Do the cruise ships do the same? I can't imagine that I will send less than 20 pages, and receive less than 10 pages per day.<BR><BR>Thanks for any help.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 05:31 AM
marlon

No faxes available but for a nominal fee of somewhere like $10 each, they will allow you to bring aboard carrier pigeons to send messages.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Kansas

I looked at the Princess Cruise line answer book and found they charge $8.95 per minute for telephone calls ship to shore or vice versa. Their brochure said it also applied to faxes. I don't know if all cruise lines charges are similar but that's Princesses.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Benita

Quoting directly from the Radisson Seven Seas guidebook:<BR><BR>COMMUNICATION<BR>"You can call or fax to the m/s xxx directly from the USA by dialing (phone number) and enter your credit card number. Your credit card will be billed at a rate of approx. $6.50/minute. A valid credit card is required for this service."<BR><BR>You can also call directly, but at a substantially higher rate of $15.00/minute or more.<BR><BR>While we were on the Mariner a few weeks ago, I both sent and received E-mails nearly daily. The cost averaged about $1.50/day. Maybe you could do some of your communication through E-mails? Check with your cruise line what their policies and charges are.<BR><BR>Good luck!<BR>Benita

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Faxme

Arron, sounds like you are just too important to be away from the businees just now.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 07:34 PM
Paul Therault

Yes, faxes will cost you the same as a ship-to-shore phone call, $7 to $9 per minute. I believe all cruise lines can do this for you.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 04:23 AM
Arron

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I will check into the email thing.<BR><BR>As for Mr. Faxme's comment, I am the owner of a small business. Obviously you don't understand how different that is from whatever it is that you do for a living. Although I am making plenty of money, I certainly work more than the average 8-hour day.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Paul Therault

You bet Arron. It is tough for a small business to survive. In my first venture I did not take a vacation for 7 years. I presume you are attempting to coordinate the best of both by cruising. <BR><BR>Definitely do e-mail which is time consuming but economical. I hope you will find some time to unwind.<BR><BR>Good luck,<BR><BR>Paul