Search

Barcelona day stop on a cruise...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona day stop on a cruise...

Hi all,
We have booked a Transatlantic "Big Band Dancing" Cruise on the Noordam for Sept of this year.

One of our day stops is in Barcelona. We have several options, and though we have traveled in the Mediterranean extensively, we have failed to hit Spain on previous trips so this will be a first. For those of you with past experience in Barcelona, we are seeking advice for what to do for the day. With so many options, we want to make our day count. We are healthy, can walk miles, and are in our 40's.

Assuming we don't end up going off on our own, here are some of the options we are being offered. If this were Italy, or somewhere else where we speak the language and have traveled extensively, we might be tempted to go it alone. However, with only one day in port, from 8:00 a.m. until 11:00 p.m., we want to get the most for our time.

The following caught my eye, as we love history, especially old monasteries, and of course we would love the wine tour as well. Those of you with Barcelona experience - would you be inclined to do..if at all...(Our budget is quite liberal so price is not an option on these either. We just want to make sure it is the right thing, regardless of the cost)

Montserrat Monastery & Codorniu Cellars
----------------------------------------
(This tour is 8 hours)
A coach will take you to Sant Sadurni d'Anoia, location of the Codorniu Champagne Cellars. Taste the champagne from the Penedes region, called Cava, then head to Montserrat. Travelling northwest through the picturesque Spanish countryside, enjoy a spectacular view of the Montserrat Mountain Ridge, 4,050 feet high! On a natural platform at 2,380 feet above sea level, visit the Benedictine Montserrat Monastery founded in the 11th century.

There are also the usual 1/2 day tours and full day tours, and they also offer "Flamenco and Dinner".

Tips, comments, opinions? All appreciated!

Old Apr 12th, 2006, 02:39 AM

Thats nice but you then don't see much of Barcelona itself. You will miss all the Gaudi influence, particularly the in process Sagrada Familia. However if that itinerary suits you best, OK.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 04:01 AM

With only one day, I'd stay in Barcelona, and focus on the Gaudi sites, doing it on your own
Casa Mila
Casa Batllo
Parc Guell
Sagrada Familia

In the evening, stroll Las Ramblas
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, abram. The monastery/winery tour was only one listed that I noted, and there is a specific Gaudi tour also offered. Since I have never been, I appreciate the tips and will check their offered tour against your list to see if it measures up. If not, we'll explore it on our own. Gracias!
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 02:41 PM

We had a cab driver/guide who took us all around Barcelona and we saw more in one day than most tourists see in a week.. I was very underwhelmed by the Sagrada, but enjoyed the Gaudi influence...If you'd like a private driver check out...http://www1.dragonet.es/users/d5506/
We used Auriello before a cruise for a tour and to pick us up and drop us off at the cruise port. He grew up outside NYC and speaks engish fluently.. If you would like more information write... [email protected]. I found him on recommendation from a cruiser last year and
think it's only fair to share the information..
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 04:54 PM

Actually doing it on your own is a good idea I think. There will be cabs waiting at the dock when you get off. figure out what you want to see, cut a deal and go. The Sag. Familia is likely to be crowded as it is perhaps the most visited site in Barcelona so allow enough time. Also the Barri Gothic cathedral is very good too. Right across from it is a nice hotel called the Colon, a good spot for lunch. Strolling the Ramblas is a very good idea too. Enjoy,
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 08:17 PM

I enjoyed walking around Park Guell by Gaudi. Wouldn't take the whole day though.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 12:36 PM

Our cruise ship docks in Barcelona from 7am to 5pm (geez why bother!). A bunch of us are planning on doing the Fat Bike Tour of Barcelona, which leaves the predetermined meeting apot at 11:30am. Looks like it hits all the highlights in Barcelona.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the help!
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 12:01 PM

Forgive my spelling but my husband and I love Los Brambles with all the street characters and a wine and beer stop. Gaudi is also unforgetable.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 02:43 PM

That area is called the Ramblas and I agree about its ambience.