Need advice on shore excursions cruise out of Barcelona on NCL

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning an 11 day cruise leaving from Barcelona going to Rome (Civitavecchia), Athens, Izmir, Alexandria and Malta. We are on the NCL cruise line. I would like to hear from anyone who has taken any of the shore excursions or has stuck out on their own in any of these places. I especially want to know about the Jeep Camel Safari excursion. Any and all advice welcome. Anne_P
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 02:21 PM

We found Barcelona very easy to tour on our own. We especially loved the Gaudi sites. We spent three days there before the cruise, and it wasn't enough.

Athens was our disembarkation port; we hired Spiros from www.athenstaxi.net to pick us up at the ship, take us on a half day tour of the places that weren't so esy to see on our own, and drop us off at the hotel. Later, we wandered the Plaka on our own.

We've been to Malta twice on cruise ships. The first time, we did a self-guided historical walking tour of Valletta, and the second time we negotiated with a cab driver to take us to a list of outlying spots we wanted to see.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 02:39 PM

Are you coming to Barcelona the day before the cruise ?
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 03:53 PM

If you need help; with Barcelona ... Percy and I can both help.. have been there several times and are going back for the third time.. same hotel.. will aim for other tourist sites.. So much to see and if your interested Percy and I both used the same guide...well worth the $$
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Original Poster

We will be arriving early in the morning and spending the day in Bacelona before we sail. Can we take our stuff to the boat and then take off for site seeing around the town? How do you transfer from the airport to the dock?
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 03:07 AM

P-Mom-- where do you stay in Barcelona?
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

Also, can anyone tell me how you book a private tour instead of going on the cruise ship tours. I was just reading the questions about Ephesus and taking a private tour. How do you do that?
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 07:01 AM

THe most popular place is..www.hotelcontinental.com/ I think Percy who has been there will agree..very popular with cruisers and backpackers..Right on the top of La Rambla, now has a 24 hour buffet, wonderful people, funky, funky hotel and next door (lol) to a great pizza place.. Recommend an outside room. This place fills up rapidly.. the minute I book our cruise and it's from Barcelona I book my guide and the hotel..if the rooms are taken book their sister hotel...
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 07:16 AM

We really liked the Hotel Lleo--very convenient, large rooms, modern bathrooms, helpful front desk staff, moderately priced.

If you go to the Ports of Call boards at www.cruisecritic.com, yo0u will find lots of information about private guides.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 08:35 AM

P-Mom-- there are two Continental hotels in La rambla: Barcelona and Palacete. I imagine you are referring to Barcelona....?
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

WOW, thanks you guys, This board is awesome.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 03:07 PM

VIAJERO2-both are owned by the same family..First choice because of $$ is the Continental which had (has more now) 40 plus rooms, the Palacete is a bit more plush and $$. The rooms look like they were decorated by your great, great, great, great aunt.. all in pink..lol, but there is a safe, a refrigerator a/c, heat and it's clean. Last year when we were there the owner was working there and the son at the front desk.. There used to be a h uge old Pyraneese dog in the lobby but he has since died..On the balconies there are two chairs and a little table that you can sit out on and watch the world go by on La Rambla.. Huge cruise groups usually reserve several rooms.. We were lucky last time there was a cancellation..otherwise we would have been at the Palacete. (oh yes.. we are talking about Batcelona).. The location is just two blocks away from the famous market, and the bus stops are just up the street as is a famous dept. store which I have yet to hit yet...lol But I tell you.. a pizza and pitcher of sangria is calling my name...not that I don't like Tapas.. and oh yes.. I intend to go shopping in the market..oh the market and the kiosks of meats, fruit, candy, eggs, peppers, fish, a sight for eyes and photographers
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 08:54 AM

Thanks PMom. I got in the Continental Barcelona!
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 06:14 AM

Viajero2-when are you going? BTW Percy and I will tell you that next to the hotel is Pizza Marzano..it maybe part of a chain,but they have fabulous food and sangria.. We will be arriving 11/27/09... can't wait
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 02:13 PM

Hi, ParrotMom-good to come across your comments. I haven't even started on our cruise yet as I do Canada before. Also, my sister invited me to go to China using Vangard. I chickened out-feared getting sick and the itinerary was grueling. Anyway, hope things are good-are we all getting together at the hotel on the 28 or will I miss a good party if all of you meet before I get there.
Linda
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 03:17 AM

P-Mom-- I heading out in December; cruising the Eastern Med. Can't wait! Many happy travels!!
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 05:28 PM

Loved Barcelona. We did the NCL cruise 7 days last year. We really tried to avoid the cruise ship excursions on this trip. I agree, cruisecritic has great info. on all this cruise. One excursion we took, just for the value was Montserrat. When we returned to Barcelona, a bus met us at the port, loaded our luggage and with guide took us to Montserrat. It is a 1/2 day tour. After the tour they deliver you to the airport or your hotel. It was the same price we would have paid for a transfer from the port and it was a very nice tour. We're not tour group kind of people, but this was definately worth it.
We toured Barcelona on our own the couple of days prior to the cruise we were there.
I loved our walking through Valetta, Malta. Wish I could remember the name and exactly where this small jeweler was. I bought beautiful handmade sterling silver earrings for sisters and mom. They were less than $10 each! I wear mine all the time. If they had a website, I'd order more. We watched the jeweler make them before our eyes. It was such a fun surprise port for us.
Have a wonderful trip!