Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Would you use skyauction or luxurylink for your honeymoon? Tips?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:20 AM
Jodi

We are planning a honeymoon for next May and are flexible on dates (although we do have a favorite resort picked out).<BR><BR>To all of you seasoned travellers / auctioners...Would you use an auction for planning your honeymoon? Obviously, I know it would depend on the price, but lets say it is considerably less than the quotes I have received and the research I have done.<BR><BR>Have read the mostly favorable posts on skyauction, and am encouraged. Could someone help an "auction virgin" with some of the details I might not be expecting? For example, I know that most 7 day packages carry a $195/per person fee. Is the price that you are bidding for the package of 2, or for EACH person? How much leeway, if any, do you have in choosing times for flights? If not listed, is there ever the chance of being able to add on additional days?<BR><BR>Pros/Cons, I am all ears and anxious to hear your responses!<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:39 AM
penny

I have usesd luxury link twice. Very good site, and I will share the tips I learned from this forum. May is shoulder season, so you have a very good chance at getting the time you want! I would call the hotel and see if they have your dates open. I just came back from a London trip, I got the hotel from luxury link. Also check their web specials etc. Make up your mind, set a price and bid, the last half hour of the aution can be a real auction back and forth! Have not used skyaution.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Sue

May is the start of low-season in the Caribbean, shoulder season is more towards the Fall and high season mid-December to late April. For a honeymoon I'd be leary of auction sites and would stick with a good travel agent. This way if problems arise you have someone to trouble shoot for you.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 08:52 AM
J

We used Luxury Link for a vacation in June. We felt the service was great, people friendly and helpful. <BR><BR>If they are offering an auction for the place you have picked out, then its not a bad idea to try to use them - but first make sure you check with the resort to guarantee that there is availability for the time you want. Also, check wil Luxury Link about flexibility with changing dates/length of stay etc. You may decide after you buy that you would want to extend the trip or include other places. Typically they will be happy to ad additional days. <BR><BR>Also, try to call them and ask for their suggestions. The folks there we found to be very helpful.<BR><BR>With respect to flights, I would suggest not using an auction service, as the times are more restrictive. If you can use miles to upgrade to first class - certainly worth it for your honeymoon. If May is your date, you have time to search for inexpensive flights, and earn miles to upgrade.<BR><BR>note - if you are travelling internationally and dont have alot of FF miles, consider applying for the AMEX platinum card. They have a program where you can buy one first or business class ticket and get one free (only on certain airlines, and only on international routes). This could help you save thousands. More than offsets the $350 annual fee.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 09:24 AM
Patty

I haven't used sky auction - I've heard good things about them but their selection doesn't appeal to me. I have used luxurylink and can highly recommend them. As a matter of fact, I was the winning bidder on a package just yesterday. I was contacted by a luxurylink rep at 1:00pm (auction closed at 12:30pm) and this morning they emailed my purchase verification and I just got off the phone with Jamaica Inn reservations to confirm my dates. Everything has gone very smoothly so far (as did my previous purchases) and their service is excellent. Actually after winning, the majority of your contact is thru the resort directly. As other posters have stated, I would contact the resort property before bidding to inquire about availability for your dates. The properties that I've won were flexible about date changes as long as it was within the original dates listed in the auction. I would not hesitate to use them again. Good luck!