Reload this Page >

honeymoon air upgrade?

Search

honeymoon air upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 06:23 AM
stevex

honeymoon air upgrade?

<BR> I just recently learned that some airlines used to upgrade from Econ to Business or First Class those jetting out for their wedding trips.<BR><BR> I had never heard of that before this year.<BR><BR> Did they / Do they really do that ?<BR><BR> How does that work ?<BR><BR> We got married last year, but only finally getting around to taking honeymoon.<BR><BR> - steve

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:08 AM
Alec

I find getting operational upgrade esp on long-haul flights harder to get. With airlines cutting capacity and their profit margin squeezed, they cannot afford to give away premium seats except to frequent flyers with premium status as a reward for loyalty and an inducement for further business. Even then in most cases they are forced to use upgrade vouchers or their miles. I hear of isolated examples of people getting operational upgrade (including honeymooners), but I wouldn't count on getting it unless you are already known to the airline as CIP (commercially important person = frequent flyer). I suppose there's no harm in asking, but I wouldn't pin my hope too high.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:29 AM
David

Getting a flight upgrade is tough--you have to really suck up to the gate agent AND you have to have the incredible good fortune of there being excess seats available in first/business. If you are a frequent flyer, make sure the gate agent is aware of your status because that obviously helps.<BR><BR>I was luckier asking for hotel upgrades when I was on my honeymoon...I did it by sending the front desk a fax in advance that I was going to be staying there on my honeymoon and would appreciate anything extra they could do for me. Several times we got upgraded rooms, champagne, or fruit when we arrived. Be sure to tip in gratitude!!

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:30 AM
Jerry

This sounds like something George Constanza would try to pull off.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 03:53 PM
Mel P

I don't know, but I guess it can't hurt to give it a shot...be very courteous, and look very in love, maybe you'll find an agent who's a romantic...