Upgrading to business or first-class

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to get upgraded to business class or first-class on your honeymoon?
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 02:27 PM

Not a chance. If anyone is to be upgraded, it will be the frequent flyers.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 05:06 PM

Yeah, an upgrade will pretty much never happen. However, it doesn't hurt to mention that it is your honeymoon, anyway. Especially if you're on an international flight. We were treated to complimentary champagne by some very kind KLM attendents on our honeymoon flight.
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 01:19 PM

Take it from a frequent flyer with Platinum status, the only sure way to get an upgrade is to pay for it in cash. The next best way is to use FF miles for an upgrade at the time you make your reservation (note - there are only a limited number of award seats available on any given flight and they go fast).

FYI - If you have elite status with the airline you can request upgrades but you are never guaranteed the request will be filled as there are normally more requests than there are available seats. Those FC/BC seats that are available are given first to paying customers, followed by upgrades to Executive Platinum members (names vary by airline), then Platinmum members, followed by Gold members and lastly those without elite status.

If you don't have elite status your chances of being upgraded are slim to none. Not to sound curt but telling the ticket agent you are on your honeymoon won't generate too much of a response other than a "congratulations". You'd be surprised at how many couples checking in claim to be traveling on their hooneymoon.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 09:52 AM

Lot's of pessimism around here. I would say do not check in online, mention that it's your honeymoon when you check in and that, while you certainly don't expect an upgrade, you would really, really appreciate one. Repeat this same story at the gate.

After I graduated from college I went to Europe for 8 weeks. I told the lady at the check in counter that it was my graduation gift and that my parents had tried to upgrade my tickets but couldn't becuase it was some type of super cheap fare. She didn't do anything. Then I gave the same story to the woman at the gate. She called my name about an hour later and handed me a business class boarding pass.

It can happen. Turn on the charm and hope for the best.