Search

What's up with AA?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's up with AA?

Why won't AA let my husband upgrade to business class weeks or months in advance of his business trips? Also, we are booked on a flight in Sept JFK-Brussels-Nice, Rome-JFK direct. They say a request for the outbound flight has been noted for the upgrade, but the upgrade is not available for the return. Do they mean it's not available at all? And what does it take to get one? Please help.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 04:13 PM

It's because AA wants to sell that seat for money. And many airlines will let the seat go empty rather than let people upgrade with miles.

It's just the way the airline business is run these days.

Basically, if you want to fly business, the best way is to pay with money. If he's on a business trip, the employer (himself if self-employed) should consider paying for a business class seat.

AA may later decide to release more seats for upgrade. And maybe not. No one knows.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 04:46 AM

Everybody wants to upgrade.Do you have elite status with AA?For the month of September(30days), half of the month has availability to upgrade to Business Class,on the flight JFK BRU, 15 days out of 30.BUT, there is only one seat each day that it is available.Doesnt help in your case.On the return flight FCO JFK,there is plenty of availability to upgrade, BUT once again, only if you are travelling during the 1st 13 days of the month.There are currently NO seats available for upgrade on the Rome flight after Sep 13.Normally, when they tell you the upgrade is "on request, that means you are on the waitlist.Not sure what "not available for the return" means, other than they have effectively closed the waitlist.Meaning there are too many already on the waitlist, and from an historic perspective, no more travellers will be confirmed from the list.Sorry for your dilemma, but thats the way of the world.Unless you are Exec Plat status, it is not likely to happen.But best of luck and I hope this has helped.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 05:47 AM

BeachBoi explained it pretty well, but let me expand on the more fundamental issue.

FF points are "rewards". They are not a substitute for paying for business trips or trips one has to make. They are perks, not rights.

They are setup specifically to make people like the OP's husband difficult to use them on business trips. Because, like I said, they want you to pay top dollars on those trips.

Now, if he's flexible enough, he can do it. But not the way he wants it. Before he books his ticket, he needs to call AA to ask for which date in that <b>few weeks or a month</b> that they have upgrade availability to <b>anywhere in Europe</b>. Then he books that flight with the <b>confirmed upgrade</b>.

In the OP's case, just forget it. If they clear the outbound, then consider themselves lucky.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 05:54 AM

And I wouldn't think it is going to become any easier to upgrade now that American is spending (presumably) millions of dollars to improve its business class cabins (new seats, IFE, etc.)--it will save as many of those seats as possible, for as long as possible, for full-fare customers. I'm expecting the same when United begins overhauling its premium cabins, supposedly later this year.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 07:12 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
<i>Unless you are Exec Plat status, it is not likely to happen.</i>

Even for EXPs a wating list is a waiting list.

However, I can see a fair abount of C inventory (eVIP/mileage upgrades) availability on AA FCO-JFK for most days between Aug. 31 and Sept. 14, so if he's getting a &quot;not available&quot; message I'll bet it's because the underlying fare basis is one that's ineligible for upgrades. One can upgrade from most economy fare buckets on AA (as opposed to UA and most other airlines which only allow international upgrades from higher-priced fares) but there <i>are</i> a couple of fares that don't permit upgrades. It's not uncommon for a fare to have an upgrade-eligible bssis in one direction and an ineligible one in the other. Best if he phones AA and finds out why he can't be waitlisted on the return. He may want to pay a little more for a qualifying fare on the return. Note AA's copay for mileage upgrades has gone up from $250 to $300 each way, too, in addition to 25K miles each way.

By the time he flies, it's almost a certainty that the refit of the overseas 767 fleet with the new seats will be complete, so if there's C space it will probably be in the new chairs regardless.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 07:52 AM

As an EXP, I have not missed 1 upgrade since about 2 years ago.

Free domestic upgrades (including Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, Bahamas, Carribean) come out of X inventory and that does not get released until 100 hours before the flight for EXPs, 72 hours for PLATs and 24 hours for GOLDs. I have been upgraded at different times. Some times right at the 100th hour, sometimes at 50 hours and sometimes right at the gate just as the door is about to close, but never missed one. Coming back from Honolulu, my upgrade cleared at the gate.

Last domestic upgrade I missed was in 2004, SFO-JFK. I accepted it, but with the help of a great Admiral's Club agent I was able to get row 17 assigned, a crew rest seats that are a miniture version of a business class seat. Still economy service but since it was a red-eye, I really felt I didn't miss much.

For international upgrades I use my free e-VIPs(same as mileage but free and no co-pay). The C inventory can open at any time. Usually AA releases 4 C seats when the flights are loaded into the system, but not always. AA will release more C inventory as it looks at the sales. The brisker the sales in the front cabin, the less chance of more C inventory being released. That said, I still have not missed one in few years, but again, I do some research, in some cases when I'm somewhat flexible, I find C inventory before I book and if not then I waitlist. I also make sure the fare is available for e-VIP upgrade.

<i>The following fares are not upgradeable:

* Fares booked in I or O
* Fares booked in Q between North America and Asia, Europe, India or South America.</i>

and finally, as somebody else already said, upgrades are a perk and not a right. AFAIK, AA is one of the best with upgrades but it doesn't work for everybody all the time. On certain business routes on Monday mornings and again on Friday afternoons even EXPs get to enjoy economy section on a regular basis.

I have learned a great deal about the upgrade/award game from www.flyertalk.com, the AA forum. I actually believe that it helped me secure some upgrades that otherwise may have gone to others. I suggest that you or your husband visits the site if you want to improve your chances. Read, read, read and at some point, start participating and if needed ask questions.

I doubt very much any other airline will be any better/worse, so he would be wasting his time getting a new status just to find out that the grass is not always greener on the other side.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 07:59 AM

As I said in another thread started by the OP, AA is one of the best, if not THE best, when it comes to upgrades for elites.

Try CO - even the plats have low upgrade rates on many routes; and they're the first one to collect money in additional to miles for international upgrades.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 10:16 AM

I can't even get them to upgrade my wine from plastic to a glass.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 03:17 PM

Or, have 45 years in the industry, and occasionally tap a serious friend for an upgrade.
M
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with rrkwan. I don't consider it a perk when you fly almost 100,000 miles a year with AA(my husband is Platinum) and use inconvinient routes just to stay loyal to one company and then have to buy two economy roundtrip tickets to Europe, $600 each way and 50,000 ff miles. We are willing to do this, but are still not able to get the tickets.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 07:24 AM

If your husband <b>almost</b> flew 100K miles then why not fly 100K miles, become ExecPlat and get upgraded for free 90-100% of the time?

Read my post above.....
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:24 AM
J62

For every customer such as your husband who flies almost 100k per year there are many who fly far more miles. Yes, AA loves your husband, but unfortunately for him they love many other far more.

Paying passengers then the really frequent fliers are ahead of you in line for the upgrades you seek. Limited supply/strong demand. Economics 101.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

BeachBoi, you were very helpful.
I'm very curious as to how you know all the airline info? Are you in the business?
Just nosey, I guess.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 08:31 AM

If you insist that using upgrade rewards as a &quot;right&quot;, then you'll be disappointed at any airline. It's just the way things are.

I always tell people if they don't like to play the FF game, then don't. Just fly whoever has the best schedule, routing, fare for each trip. Pay no attention to the FF program. Many people may be a lot happier that way.

BTW, like AAFF says, if your husband flies 100K paid-miles on AA each year, he'll be Executive Plat, with more upgrades availabilities. And with 100% bonus miles, he'll earn 200K miles a year. That's more than enough for 2 AAnytime tickets to Europe. No need to worry about route, date or availability.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 08:33 AM

Sorry I mean enough for 2 AAnytime coach tickets or one AAnytime business class. For the latter, that's worth up to $4,000 already.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 08:34 AM

didi.....No not in the business.95% of my friends are tho in some was shape or fashion.I travel every week for da job..I have been close to my Travel Agent for over 16 years.During my high school years I &quot;interned&quot; in his office.I found the work he did/does, fascinating.I learned a lot and still try to do some &quot;digging&quot;.Glad I could help..