san francisco to rome

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
san francisco to rome

Which airline would you chose? United through Washington DC, where one of the four people in our family could use one free award ticket for 100,000. Lufthansa through Munich or Frankfurt, where we would get a couple of student/teacher fares. Or Air Canada through Toronto/Montreal, which seems to be the cheapest. If price were not an object, which would you choose?
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 04:10 PM

If price is no object, I'd do LH through MUC.

100K for a coach reward is a bad deal, in general.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 10:21 PM

I fly Air Canada frequently across the Atlantic from Vancouver...and I've flown Lufthansa a few times as well. Air Canada offers the most legroom of your 3 options. And I think it's service internationally is pretty good in economy....nothing flashy....just warmly efficient and polite. Very Canadian I might say. I did a check and the travel time durations are pretty much the same. Both are Star Alliance carriers so you will earn ff miles. One advantage of the Air Canada flight is that it is non-stop Toronto-Rome, about 10 hours, lets you get a decent sleep and arrives mid morning. Saves sitting around a German airport bleary-eyed, jet-laggged waiting for your connection to Rome. And it will cost you less!
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 08:17 AM

Or? Use American from SFO to ORD to FCO nonstop. OR use Delta from SFO to either CVG,ATL or JFK nonstop if you aren't set on using United. Getting to FCO nonstop from the states is so much nicer than sitting around a connecting airport in Europe falling asleep as previous poster mentioned.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 06:22 PM

Instead of one standard award for 100,000 miles you can probably get two saver awards for 50,000 miles each. You can use those mileage awards on United or Lufthansa or Air Canada.

You can get student/teacher fares on Lufthansa but not the others? Ok, then two of those and two free tickets with miles and you are set.

What I would do if price was no object would be to buy a 777 and have it outfitted with a hot tub, theater, sofas, ...
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

I can't get the flights for 50,000 miles, which is why the 100,000 option is being considered.

I actually thought it would be better to get the long-haul part of the trip over first, and then have the short leg in Europe, so I'm surprised there are differing opinions on this. It seems to me that it's shorter that way. Also, if there is a problem with flight delays and missed connections, it seems like I would have more options to get from FRA to FCO than if I was still on this side of the Atlantic.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 11:20 AM

Did you call to check award availability or did you just search online? What travel dates?

I agree, I'd rather fly nonstop from home to Europe. You'd arrive in Germany in the morning. Lufthansa has (up to) 5 daily flights from MUC to FCO and 6 from FRA to FCO.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

I called. It's for the end of July--beginning of August.....probably the busiest time of the year....