Which room at FS Nevis?

Search

Which room at FS Nevis?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which room at FS Nevis?

I think FS may be the choice for a 5th anniversary trip in May (thanks to all of you who have helped with that decision). So... now, i'm looking at the room types and there is a large discrepency in prices (as there usually is) and while I'm willing to spend the higher amount for an oceanfront room, I'm wondering if people have stayed in the specific room types offerred and their thoughts. A mountainside view room is $490. A mountain view room is $600. A oceanside is $710 and an ocean front is $745. The rooms are all generally the same size and i assume the same layout.

My thinking is if we go ocean we might as well go oceanfront for the extra $35 per night. But if we go Mountain, seems silly not to save $110 pn and go mountain side. but my worry is does mountainside translate to view of the parking lot?

Also, i know it has been suggested to stay on the second floor, but i read somewhere that the second floor has enclosed porches/verandas? Is this true? Are the first floor views really obstructed?

Finally, it was posted that there is a "couples" side v. "family" side- does anyone know the cottage numbers for the couples side and does room choice matter to get that side? TIA!
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 01:06 PM

As the name implies the mountain view room have great views across the golf course toward Mount Nevis.

I believe the views from mountainside rooms are nice but just not as stunning. If I'm not mistaken they look toward a different part of the mountain so you see more hillside villas whereas the mountain view rooms give you unobstructed views of Mount Nevis and its peak.

Don't worry, the parking lot is well hidden from any of the room views.

The ocean front rooms on the first floor have views of the water through palm trees and other plantings and in some cases across an infinity edge pool. It's because of these "line of sight limitations" that people suggest second floor rooms. I believe the Oceanside rooms are those that are situated so to have a partial view of the water.

Yes, all second floor rooms have screened porches where as the first floor rooms have small unscreened patios
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

A-traveller, if you were going, all things considered, which room would you book and which floor?
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 09:41 AM

All the rooms really are nice. I don't think you can go wrong in any category. You may be a little disappointed in the oceanfront as some people feel that the rooms aren't *close enough* to the beach -- it's maybe 75 yards or so to the edge of the beach, which is far enough away that you won't hear the waves lapping
up on shore at night when you're going to sleep if that's important to you. I would have no reservations recommending the mountain view or mountainside. You will see the mountain, the old sugar mill or the golf course. You will not see the parking lot.

There is nice patio furniture on the patio's as well as the porches. First and second floors are a personal choice. Some people feel that the second floor because it's enclosed is a worse view. Many first floor views are not obstructed.

You will automatically get on the couples side, I'm sure. They know you don't have children with you. Have you looked at http://www.fourseasons.com/nevis/
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Knowing- yes, I've checked out their website. Thanks for the info. I'm really leaning towards the FS for this vacation. hope we go and hope to provide a good trip report! Any suggestions you might have for excellent dining would be appreciated as well!
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 07:59 PM

emcash, definitely mountainview over mountain side. The mountain view rooms look up the 3rd/4th fairway to the ruins of a sugarmill and Mt. Nevis. mountain side rooms look to the tennis courts and club house and have restricted views of Mt. Nevis. Likewise with oceanside vs. oceanview. Ocean view means you can actually see the ocean. 2nd floor rooms have a screened balcony the same size as the first floor unenclosed decks. They are more private. If you wish to leave the door open and enjoy the ocean air and sound you need a second floor room. The A/C doesn't work with the sliding door open (auto shut-off). As at any vacation location you must use common sense when leaving your rental room open. The second floor offers a bit more built in security (and flying insect proofing). Beach access is easy from any room and the buildings are all surrounded with lush gardens. Since most visitors do not have cars the parking lot is small and located along the tennis courts and pretty much out of sight. Especially out of sight to the rooms. The resort will be mindful of privacy and children. Will your visit be at Spring Break or Easter vacation? Those are the high family times down here. Check into renting a villa on your next longer visit. Check with the concierge for dining around. You don't have a lot of time but you might want to check out Montpellier Plantation of Bananas Bistro one evening.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

nevisian, you are a wealth of information! Thank you so much. I will definitely look into those restaurants and welcome any more suggestions. I'd like to try the 3 "best" upscale restaurants that Nevis has to offer for dinner and more relaxed places for lunch.

if we go, we'll be going in May, so that should be a spring break free time.now I just have to convince DH! He thinks we should go to The Cove in the bahamas, since it's easier to get to for us and we'll have more vacation time that way. 2 totally, completely different vacations.I say nevis is worth the extra couple travel hours!
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 04:15 AM

Sorry, I was "out of pocket" yesterday.

Personally, I'd choose the Mountainview rooms rather than beachfront. The views are spectacular and you are only a few steps more from the beach. Regardless of which room you select you'll still get all the services and ambiance of the resort so why not just opt for the lower priced room. Think about it, you are not really going to spend that much time in the room anyway. Besides half the time you are in the room you'll be sleeeping so the view and room location mean little during those hours.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 08:02 AM

1.Sugar Mill at Montpelier - Very good restaurant and romantic

2.Old Manor House - This was our more favorite place, although it's more of a hideaway rather than upscale

3.Chevy’s had great food and is close to the FS

Just an FYI - the restaurants in Nevis are more about the great views, some have that classic wooden beach bar where tables line the wooden deck. At places like Sunshine's you dine on a picnic table.
It's not really "upscale". It's more intimate with personal service than being in a luxurious atmosphere. It's surprisingly different - but in a good way.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 08:44 AM

For more information on Nevis you should visit www.nevisisland.com and www.nevisforum.com

Old Jan 16th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

I cannot thank all of you enough for all your help. Alas, my DH doesn't want to go to Nevis. He just thinks it's a lot of travelling for a place that he's not 100% about and for a short time. I think we'll go in the future with our daughter and I'll remember all your great suggestions. Thank you.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 06:28 PM
iw

Oh, give me a few minutes with DH and I could convince him about Nevis! It is tricky to get to, but oh, so worth it. I do hope you go in the future. The little one would really love it!
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks IW, I wish you COULD talk to him! I'm sure we'll go some other time. It sounds like a wonderful place to take children too, so I'm hopeful!
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 05:31 AM

Dh needs to be replaced. Sounds like he'd rather have a beer and watch baseball.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

wow- pretty harsh! In defense of DH he's not that way at all. Loved Cap in Anguilla and loves four seasons in general. he just was put off by some reviews and b/c we're going for a short time and it's not easy to get tehre, he doesn't want to chance it.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 08:26 AM

LOL, alright, maybe DH deserves a 2nd chance. Three days is tough requirement, get 4 or 5!

My DW and I are going to try Turks & Caicos Club in March. It is a 21 room oceanfront hotel and from what I read and see on their website it is much more what you are looking for than FS Nevis, especially since we have been to FS Nevis. I will be writing a trip report at the end of March and since May is not busy season, you could probably still book something.

IMO for a 5th anniversary you would rather spend time together. Direct flights leave from Charlotte, NC to Provo on US Air daily around 11:30 AM.

Cheaper to keep DH than replace him already! LOL
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

the trick is getting to charlotte! in any event, I look forward to reading your trip report! have fun!