Search

Which islands have the best snorkeling?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which islands have the best snorkeling?

Hi everyone,
I am hoping to take a 1st anniversary trip with my husband this summer. We went to Hawaii for our honeymoon, and loved it. Returning there is actually my first choice, but airfares from Boston may be too high for us this summer.

If we can't swing Hawaii, we would like to try the Caribbean. Which islands have the best snorkeling? This is something we discovered we loved in Hawaii, and our routine there was snorkel and swim in the ocean in the morning, then lay be the pool in the afternoon. I was thinking maybe Aruba, Grand Cayman, or Turks and Caicos?? Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 01:57 PM

Of the ones I've been to, Turks and Caicos was very good, but is limited from shore.

Cozumel has some of the best in the Caribbean, St John, Virgin Gorda, St Lucia are all pretty good.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Sunnyboy

Most caribbean experts will tell you that Bonaire has the best snorkeling in the Caribbean. You'll also find excellent snorkeling in the US and British Virgin Islands, some of the Grenadines and many of the Bahamas Out-islands.

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 03:40 PM

Hi,

Of the three you mention, Grand Cayman and Turks and Caicos have excellent snorkeling. Aruba also has good snorkeling, but not as readily available from your hotel beach due to the heavy use of motorized watersports (jet skiis, banana boats, parasailors, etc.).

We have found the best "beach" snorkeling on St. John. Rent a jeep and visit a different beach every day.

Enjoy.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 03:49 PM

Of the dozen or so Caribbean Islands I have snorkeled, I'd rate Bonaire, St. John & Tortola three of the best.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 05:03 PM

Beachgirl86--where did you stay in Hawaii? Offseason rates are not horrible at Caneel Bay on St.John. Caneel is one of the most romantic places on earth. 171 rooms on 170 acres and SEVEN beaches, within the National Park. Look around anywhere and there is NO development to be seen--only sea, sky, islands. Great wade-in snorkeling from the tree-shaded white sand beaches. Beaches blow away just about anything in Hawaii, plus warmer water.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 04:15 AM

For off the beach snorkeling, Bonaire and St. John, without a doubt. Bonaire has no beaches to speak of, you literally drop from the shore into the reef. St. John is a beautiful eco island. Rent a car and explore the remote beaches, for excellent snorkeling. Turks & Caicos is very limited for this, as are the Caymans and most other islands. You need to go from a boat. We are snorkelers only, so search for this, have been to most islands. Have fun! email me if you have questions. [email protected]
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 06:15 AM

We had wonderful snorkeling in the BVI - try The Baths on Virgin Gorda and the Indians off Norman Island.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 06:36 AM

Readers of Caribbean Travel and Life magazien voted Cayman the #1 destination for both snorkelling and diving for 2004.

One poster said Cayman is limited for snorkelling from the beach... if you are staying on 7MB, that is true, but on the rest of the island, it could not be further from the truth, there are many, many spots where you can snorkel / dive directly from the shore.

Lots of information at www.divecayman.ky on both diving and snorkelling
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 06:40 AM
EJC

Grand Cayman is FANTASTIC!! Just be concerned that there was major damage from the past summer hurricane(s). Investigate!
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 06:53 AM

I would ahev said Crand Cayman too but when the ocean gets curned up like it did this past fall it reaks havock with the enviornment down below. We LOVE St John as well.
We had excellent snorkelling right off Scott's beach at Caneel Bay. AThere are so many other places on St John to snorkel it is a great place to go for variety
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 07:39 AM

By Far the Bahamas has the best marine life I have ever seen most of the others are limited to reefs and wrecks but there are countless wrecks and one of the biggest barier reefs in the world on andros Island in the Bahamas
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 04:53 PM

Another vote for Grand Cayman. There are plenty of places to snorkel from the beach, but we enjoyed reef snorkeling with Capt. Marvin's the best. From what I've read, the diving and snorkeling has not been affected by the hurricane in September.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 05:39 AM

HI beachgirl! I would have to rate myself as a beachgirl as well. I love the caribbean and snorkeling is one of my favorite activities. I would rate Grand Cayman as the best snorkeling I have ever done in the Caribbean. I usually go to Cemetary Reef on 7 mile beach. This is a well known local spot, but not well known by cruisers. It is behind a cemetary and the snorkeling is absolutely wonderful right off the beach. YOu can go way out and the reef almost reaches the surface. I am due to go back in less than two weeks and I am concerned however about any damage caused by the hurricane. I actually posted a thread asking how Grand Cayman has recovered, but I received no response. I do want to mention that Grand Cayman is a rather flat island above surface. The beaches are the draw here. Also, it is a safe island where you won't have a big problem with hagglers, etc. However, expect high prices, especially for food and bev. All inclusives are not popular here, so you will pay more than you would in some caribbean destinations. My choice for you if you are on a budget would be the Mayan Riviera south of Cancun. Excellent snorkeling and great value!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:06 AM

My favorite snorkeling spot - a first floor beach front room at the Intercontinental Presidente in Cozumel.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:11 AM

Ah, Emily. You bring back so many fond memories.

We have spent 10 years in those very rooms on that very beach until I could snorkel on either end of that stretch of reef with a blindfold on and tell you what's down below.

Truly the best hotel I've ever stayed out for snorkeling literally steps from your room.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 05:46 AM

Ah, Diana, you are so right. My best day there I was snorkeling over the barge and had a huge tarpon sidel up to me - after I swallowed my tube and got over the panic, I couldn't believe that there was no one around to see this.I love this spot!
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 06:18 AM

Lucky you! The only place I have seen tarpon there is in Chankanaab in the cave when diving. Scary the first time because there are a bunch of them, they are BIG and they look mean...

I love the barge. When we take our dive equip. along, we like to practice our skills there before we go out on the open water reefs. It's fun when there are snorkelers and we can wave to each other.

I should get some kind of kickback from the hotel for all of the people I have referred there over the years!

I have been snorkeling a couple of places that I would consider better as far as coral and fish life, but none where I could take the last sip of my Margarita on my lanai, walk about 10 yards, and take a three foot ladder down to some super sights.

What a gem that hotel is - and the staff - I've never met more friendly, helpful people than the staff at Presidente.

Now I want to go back!