Been there, done that, now what?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have been to Grand Cayman many a time, as well as St. John. Both pristine and lovely, but we are interested in exploring a new place. It must have excellent diving for the hubby and great snorkeling for me and my 10 and 13 year old. Family oriented, low crime, fun things to do, excellent beaches all "musts" too. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 06:18 AM

Turks and Caicos
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 08:45 AM

You'll find "great snorkeling and excellent diving" throughout the British Virgin Islands (they will be similar to St. John). There's fabulous diving and snorkeling on Saba (some say the best in the Caribbean)but be warned there are no beaches on that island. Many of the Grenadines offer very good diving sites and good to very good snorkeling (the Tobago Cays are excellent snorkel sites). You shouls also check out Bonaire both for diving and snorkeling - it excellent there.

Although technically not in the Caribbean many of the Bahamas Out-islands offer excellent diving and snorkeling opportunities.

To help guide you further among the islands NOT noted for diving and/or snorkeling are: Anguilla, St. Martin, St. Kitts, Nevis, Grenada, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, Guadalupe and Martinique.

The beauty of the Caribbean is there are so many islands to visit (no need to keep going back to the same island, not that there's anything wrong with doing that). Do what many of us do and visit a different one each time you can always find something of interest.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 08:48 AM

Try British Virgin Islands like Virgin Gorda or Tortola.

Virgin Gorda has the awesome The Baths and caves for snorkle--stay at family friendly Fischer's Cove:www.fischerscove.com

Tortola has day trips to Baths etc..

check out:
http://www.bareboatsbvi.com/virgin_gorda_the_baths.html

Stay at Road Town family friendly The Moorings marina Hotel at
www.moorings.com

or more scenic and very family friendly
Myettes in Cane Garden bay at
www.myettes.com

best car rental:
jerrys
www.jerrysrental.com

hope this helps
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:53 AM

<font color="navy"><b>I second Turks and Caicos. I would say Grace Bay beach is prettier than any beach in Cayman - just my opinion. And the snorkeling is awseome - so I can only assume how great the diving is!

Try looking at this website....

http://www.turksandcaicostourism.com/

</b></font>
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 04:09 PM

In my opinion, stateside USA teenagers--unless seasoned and inspired travelers who love beauty and peace and quiet, wont like Turks and Caicos.

I'd stay US or British Virgin Islands or particularly Old San Juan Puerto Rico at the Old San Juan Sheraton
www.sheratonoldsanjuan.com

and/or Condado/Isla Verde beach areas outside old san juan.

MOre lifestyle of US, British and San Juan at
www.virginvoices.com

Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 06:52 PM

People overlook Belize and Honduras. The airfare is wothin 10% biut the R&amp;B are normally 20% less.\Look at Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan, Honduras (a 90 minute flight from Miami). The diving and snorkeling are suberb.
In Belize a little more for divers, but great diving (BLUE HOLE) and good snorkeling (amazing around the BLUE HOLE look look at Lighthouse Reef Resort. We habe been to both 2 and 3 times respectively in the past 6-7 years.Only time to avoid is late Aug.-Nov. for more hurricaes come from Western Caribbean during that period. But safe (95%) from Dec.through 3rd week of July based on historical data.
Lighthouse Reef makes diving simply a pleasure. They do 101% of the work for you. At Anthonty's Key they get to 95% assistance. For the snokelers Anthony's Key goes out twice a day for 1 1/2 hours to different reef out-croppings.A week there with 3 meals in best A/C cabins about $1300-$1400 for divers (up to 3 dive outings a day if you want) and $1000-$1100 for snorkelers. Stay in cabins 48-52, most desirable, in my opinion.Lighthouse reef is also with A/C though a little more basic but whistle clean. Cost about the same +/- 15%.