Need help choosing destination!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2004, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to plan a nice vacation (no specific occasion) and have narrowed it down to a few choices. Anyone have any feedback on which is something that can't be missed? We're looking for something quiet, with a nice beach area and beautiful water, some place in the area to snorkel, and something that can provide some type of seclusion/privacy. We have a decent budget and I believe all of these places fit within it. We'll probably go for 5 nights.

-Parrot Cay Turks and Caicos
-Cap Juluca Anguilla
-La Samanna St. Martin
-Four Seasons Nevis
-Bitter End Yacht Club/Little Dix Bay BVI
-Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman (it will be open by the time we go)

Also on the list, but not necessarily this board:
-One & Only Palimilla Los Cabos
-Las Ventanas Los Cabos
-Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen
-El Tamarindo/El Careyes Beach Resort

Any thoughts are appreciated! TIA!

Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 06:31 AM

If you are serious about the quiet, seclusion/privacy part then the two clear choices would be Parrot Cay and El Tamarindo. The water is nicer at Parrot Cay but the vast unspoiled natural environment is better at El Tamarindo. I would add Elixir de Careyes to your list, it would top them all.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 06:48 AM

I would cross off La Samanna, unless you get their best cottage. The beach washes out all to often here and it's a good distance into town for dinner, shopping, etc.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

hmmm Elixir de Careyes? Never heard of it! I'll have to do some research on it because it sounds enchanting! I will definitely look more into El Tamarindo and Parrot Cay now! Parrot Cay has been on my must-visit list for awhile now!
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 11:51 AM

Dear Jells: I see someone recommended Elixir de Careyes for your 5 night vacation. People who have been there rave about it. I happen to be going there with a group January 21-26, for 5 nights. We're taking one of the 3 villas. I'm teaching Pilates/yoga while we're there. We're a group of 9 from LA, and perhaps you'd like to join the group. We can arrange to have one bedroom with its own bath available for you in our villa, but I believe there are other rooms available in another villa as well. I have a package put together for Jan 21-26 which will include my daily classes (pilates, yoga) all meals, a guided nature hike and another excursion (either kayaking or snorkeling.)and workshops with a Professional Life Coach. All classes are of course optional. It would be less expensive if you come as part of my group, but you can come and go as you please. You would dine when we do, unless you head off to a nearby restaurant. It just seemed a good fit, considering you're looking for 5 nights in such a place, with some of the same activities included. Best, Tannis
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 02:03 PM

If you're considering Little Dix, try
Caneel Bay. More romantic, more grounds/views, wade-in snorkeling from SEVEN tree-shaded beaches. Caneel is upscale casual--no glitter and glitz--not a pampering kind of place. But Caneel is incomparable for beach/water/snorkeling.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 04:41 PM

Lucky you! You've listed some amazing places on your list. Here is my input, I hope it helps you:

Parrot Cay: I've never been but it's on my "wish" list and I think 5 days would be perfect. It's very secluded and the beaches in Turks & Caicos are absolutely gorgeous... crystal clear. The pool also looks gorgeous and they supposedly have a wonderful spa. I'm not sure how the food is... but I'm sure it's great. Although... there are no other restaurants on the island.

Cap Juluca: I've stayed there and it was amazing... great service... beautiful rooms... and an amazing gorgeous beach. The restaurants at the resort are decent... but there are so many delicious restaurants around the island. You could also take a day trip to go snorkeling on Scilly Cay. The resort doesn't have much of a swimming pool... but the beach makes up for it. Only drawback is that it seems to be the new hotspot... when I went, nobody had really heard of it.

Las Ventanas and One and Only Palmilla look amazing. I was in Los Cabos and went to Las Ventanas for dinner. The resort was beautiful and the restaurant was delicious. I'd love to stay there...but couldn't really afford to. The only drawback is that the beaches in Los Cabo are rough and you really can't swim. The pools were beautiful though. This is a place I'd love to stay at... and the One and Only looks just as nice.

El Tamarindo looks great and I seriously considered going there... but it's not the easiest place to get to from NY.... depending on where you live, this place just seems so cool/romantic. Note that the beaches on the Pacific side where this is located aren't clear blue... but are clean nice.

Wouldn't recommend LaSamanna--- St. Martin is too crowded... Little Dix Bay gets a lot of familes....

Good Luck!
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 06:50 AM

I've been to Parrot Cay twice in last 2 years. The food is good but very, very expensive (appetizers are $20!). The resort is beautiful but, truly, there isn't much to do there. If you want nothing, and i mean nothing, but quiet and lounging aroound, this is the place. Good celebrity watching, too. Absolutely NO nightlife. After dinner, everyone goes to bed.