Penas, Spas, & Accomodations in Andalucia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2003, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like suggestions on penas in Alora, Ronda, Casabermeja, las Alpujarras and the Costa de la Luz. Have already downloaded info from Guia Telematica de Flamenco and Webjerez.

Has anyone visited the spas in Alhama de Granada or Carratraca?
What about Laguna Fuente de Piedra?

Can anyone recommend Hotel Gran Sol in Zahara de las Atunes and Arco de la Villa or Hostal Marques in Zahara de las Sierras?

Thanks.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 11:08 AM

tiachica,
Can't answer your questions about flamenco peñas except that
www.andalucia.com has a list and indicates that there's a peña flamenca in Alora on the Pasaje Martos.
You can find a complete list and map at
http://caf.cica.es/mundo_flamenco/mapasens/mapasp.htm
Several in Jerez and maybe one in Chiclana.

You might be able to hear some impromptu flamenco at the Taberna de Rafael Espejo or the Bar la Plazuela, home of the peña flamenca Tobalo, on the Plaza los Descalzos (Fri. nights) in Ronda
In the Alpujarras maybe at the Panjuila in Capileira on wkds.

The only thing I know about the Gran Sol is that my Footprint Andalucía guide says the rooms are spotless and that it has an excellent restaurant, plus pool and is on the beach.
www.gransolhotel.com

But... I can answer your question about the Hostal Marqués in Zahara de la Sierra. We stopped by there recently to take a look, pick up a brochure and take a coffee break. It's a very simple 2 star hostal/pension (rooms from 30-40 euros) but a pleasant and also spotless family run place in a converted mansion on Zahara's main street, Calle San Juan. The 11 rooms have simple furnishings and hand woven blankets from nearby Grazalema.
The Arco de la Villa is the newest choice, at the top of the town below the path leading to the ruins of the Moorish castle. It looks like a troglodyte dwelling, built into the mountain, which would probably be more interesting and have gorgeous views of the reservoir plus would be quieter and more restful, although it's slightly more expensive.
www.zaharadelasierra.info/
(I believe duke6979 mentioned it in his "Just Returned from Southern Spain" travel report, but I can't find it in the archives)
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Hi Maribel,

Thanks for the referral to the Centro Andaluz site. It is definitely more current & comprehensive. I like andalucia.com for lodging and general info but it is a little out of date for flamenco. I will be in Ronda soon & hope to visit the penas you suggested.

As for Villa de Arco in Zahara, from the web, it seemed like a better choice. But a guidebook gave the rooms and restaurant only fair reviews. I appreciate your first hand knowledge. Speaking of troglodytes, have you visited Guadix?

Regards.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 05:54 PM

hi tiachica,
No, I haven't visited Guadix. It's on my "to do" list the next time I'm in the Granada area.
About the Arco de la Villa: I checked all my Andalucía guides, and it gets solid reviews in them. The only criticism in one is that it's a bit "institutional" in feel and the rooms kind of "cell like", since it imitates a troglodyte place , whereas the Marqués is a reconverted mansion with a rustic-atmospheric restaurant. But some guides say that one should ask for an interior room there since it's on the main drag.

I agree that the andalucia.com site isn't kept very up to date. I found another site for you for the Andalucía peñas flamencas:
www.flamencoshop.com/tablao/clubs.htm
And you might check
www.deflamenco.com

Also my Time Out guide says there's flamenco night every Thursday (or at least once a week) at the bar of the Cortijo Catifalarga in Capileira, although I don't know how authentic it would be.

Regards,
Maribel

Old Sep 7th, 2003, 03:30 PM

What are "penas"? (I looked it up in my Franklin and it said "pain, suffering, grief, sorrow." I doubt that's what you want!)
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 07:44 PM

hi artlover,
A peña flamenca is a private or semi-private flamenco club, a place where aficionados and flamenco artists, singers, guitarists can hang out and have impromptu jam sessions. It may or may not admit non-members; some are for "socios" (members) only. Some only open on wkds. Things don't usually start jumping until the wee hrs. of the morning and can last until dawn, and the peñas are usually found in neighborhoods way, way off the tourists' beaten path. And they're dark, very smoky bars. In Jerez there are several located in the gypsy quarter.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 01:39 PM

Thanks, Maribel--you are truly a wealth of information!