November Weather in Rome

Old Sep 7th, 2003, 11:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
November Weather in Rome

Just wondering if anyone's been to Rome in November and knows what to expect weatherwise. Also, what's the fashion at that time of year? Furs? Boots? Are jeans okay or is that an 'American' thing? I know I should get gloves. Coming from Hawaii it'll be hard to figure out what to purchase in Rome since we never wear furs or boots or gloves so whatever I purchase will have to be 'cheap'. I want to be comfortable and will probably take one of those day tours down south. Any suggestions on weather and clothes?
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 04:26 AM

On average, you can expect highs in the low 60s/upper 50s. Lows in the low 50s and upper 40s. Rome averages 4.4 inches of rain in November.

Note that these are only averages, so when you get close to your actual departure date, check the online weather predictions.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 05:16 AM

Lol- I've just been thinking about how warm it's going to be when I go to Rome next November! I live in Toronto, so averages of 10-15 degrees celsius in November is quite toasty for me! I'm imagining half the tourists in tee-shirts, the other half in fur coats
Europeans most certainly wear jeans, just in dressier styles. I can't recommend where to shop in Rome as I haven't been there yet, but if you're buying boots, gloves and a jacket there (leather?) you'll not only have fun shopping but you'll look pretty sharp, too!
Have a great trip.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 06:25 AM

Temperature-wise, it's usually perfect leather jacket weather. But, be prepared for some rain.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 06:44 AM

Take a look at weatherbase.com for historical average temps and precip. Rome is actually not that cold usually in December, will be in the 50S F. I agree with the above poster about leather jacket rather than winter coats or furs. Layer as much as possible. Gloves are fine as you can put them away if you don't need them. A raincoat with a removable lining may be your best bet. Rome is actually somewhat sub-tropical, there are palm trees.

Even the far south of Italy, like Sicily, is not warm in December. Average temps will only b a few degrees warmer than Rome, in the low 60s F. Places like the Amalfi coast will be the same or even a bit cooler than Rome, as they are right on the Med and subject to the wind chill more. Your clothing requirements would be about the same. Only northern Italy like Milan and parts north are really cold in the winter.

As noted above, rain is pretty certain to occur during your stay in Rome and parts South in December.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 07:33 AM

I've been to Rome in November and I agree with the other poster who said be prepared for rain. It rained a lot while I was there. I would recommend an umbrella and perhaps a rain poncho that you can fold up. Those items saved the day for me while I was there.
Have a nice trip!
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 07:38 AM

You may consider that, if not that cold, it is certainly quite humid over here .
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Yuk! I live in the land of all year humidity. I guess I can't escape that. Okay, so I watch out for rain. Does it get windy there? Like having- your-umbrella-turn-inside-out-if-you-face-it-the-wrong-way kind of wind?

I will definitely beef up the layers on my wardrobe. I'll only be there for four nights so I won't have too much to bring with me, I hope.

Thanks for your help.