Notices

A week in San Martin de los Andes ??

Old Oct 16th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A week in San Martin de los Andes ??

We will be in the Lakes District for about 2 weeks in late February. We will likely be in Bariloche for 3 or 4 days, then a day in Villa la Angostura and are thinking of at least a week in San Martin. Can anyone who has been there tell us if this is too many days in San Martin ? Are there enough good restaurants, things to do in and near the town to warrant a week there ? Thanks.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 08:52 AM

It's a matter of taste, obviously, but I like Villa La Angostura best and therefore I feel you are awarding it too little time.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Hi Avrooster. Well we started thinking 4 nights Bariloche/4 nights Villa la Angostura/4 nights San Martin but wondered if VlA wastn't a little small for more than a night or two. Why do you prefer it ? We are considering Patagonia Paraiso which is near there. Do you know it ? We are wanting a relaxed holiday so don't want to move around much. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 10:29 AM

Essentially, Villa La Angostura is the most unspoiled of the three places.
This should help and there is MUCH more where that came from:
http://tinyurl.com/yyhta6
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 02:25 AM

We, too, will be in that region in February.

Can someone recommend a car rental company there?

Thanks!
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 02:33 AM

Also, is it better to rent a vehicle (2 travellers) or use local transportation if one was to follow "galiano's" itienerary?
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 01:08 PM

We spent three nights in San Martin, and could have used one more day. With another day, we could taken a boat trip, but this was over Christmas, and some things were closed. There are lots of good restaurants. There are several nice walks along both sides of the lake, and we drove to a vacation spot along the lake that right now I forget the name of, for an afternoon. For us, a week would have been too long. We rented from Hertz because it was the only one that would let us pick up in Bariloche and drop off in San Martin. It was a little weird, though, that when we got to the San Martin airport there was no Hertz booth. We checked in and the Aerolinas agent told us not to worry, that the car rental guy would show up to take the keys. And sure enough, he did find us while we were having lunch at the airport. San Martin is more charming than Bariloche, certainly. Wait until you get to San Martin to buy gifts for people, as there are nicer stores there than in Bariloche,or at least that's what we found.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. This is helpful information.

Hello Raaven : Driving in Argentina looks pretty simple. I'd go for the car rental over local transportation, you have so much more freedom with your own vehicle. We are going to rent one in Bariloche for a couple of weeks. Lots of rental companies here : http://www.welcomeargentina.com/bari...ar-rental.html

Hi Jeanfromboston : Where did you stay in San Martin ? We have yet to decide.

Looks like our itinerary is now 4 nights in Bariloche, 4 in VLA, and 5 in San Martin.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 06:05 AM

In San Martin, we stayed at Hosteria La Masia. The room was fine. It was well located and quiet, being about 3 blocks off the main street. And they have covered parking. It was not particularly friendly, but I think the owner may not have been there over the Christmas period. And we don't speak Spanish. I booked directly with the hotel online.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 07:15 PM

Thank you all for the great information. We are anxious for February to come!