COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Which island for diving and relaxation?

Old Apr 16th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Which island for diving and relaxation?

Would like suggestions for which island to visit for a 7-10 day vacation for 2 couples. 2 of us will want to dive and the other 2 will want relaxation on the beach. We like good food and drink, but don't need party nightlife. I need to get a better sense of cost for each island - we'd like to keep the trip cost to $3000-$4000/couple.

We have heard wonderful things about so many islands and are having a difficult time choosing! We've been to Jamaica and would like to try someplace new. Once I get the island picked out, then I'll be asking for lodging help!

Any help you can give me is much appreciated. I'll continue to read everything I can on these boards, as well.
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 12:45 PM

Hi!

Have you looked at Curacao? I was there in November and I really enjoyed the beaches and sunsets. My husband and I are not divers, but quite a few people told us how great the diving was when we were there.

There is not a lot of nightlife, but they do have some really great restaurants to choose from. It's a lot less touristy than it's neighboring island of Aruba.

Let us know what you decide.

Nancy
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 03:31 PM

I agree with Mahogany Point, Grand Cayman would be an excellent choice. And, the condo they mentioned is on the side of the island that has great diving.
Sandy
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 07:22 AM

One of the best dive sites in the Carib. is the sister island of Curacao, Bonaire. I agree with nfahey about the big C for relaxation. If that is all you want you will get it but I am not sure about the diving there. Alternatively consider Cozumel which has a world renowned reef.
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 05:19 PM

Very few quality dive resorts with first class beachfront suites that allow some to "beach it", others to dive.

There is one in Grand Cayman... but I'm not allowed to be commercial either

Old Apr 18th, 2004, 05:25 AM

Grand Cayman would be perfect. Since Tom can't mention it, I will. It's the Reef resort and it's a great location for diving, snorkeling, and just hanging out. We stayed on 7MB, but took a ride to the Reef and it was really nice.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 09:37 AM

Sunset House is also a dive/hotel... it's only about a 2 1/2 to 3 star but the cost would be cheaper then something on 7 mile beach. Plus the sunset house has an awesome bar/retaurant oceanside & open air....

If you rent a car your beach lovers can then simply drive the 10 minutes to 7 mile beach area....

Other then a two bedroom condo that you will pay on average of $250 per night depending on if it's high or low season, then the Comfort Suites would be another choice on Grand Cayman - it's right on the southern end of 7 mile beach.....

Grand Cayman is the perfect spot for diving, beaches (7 mile, Cayman Kai, Rum Points and Smith Cove, East End) and good food and drinks!

Enjoy.

Lori