Which Island

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Which Island

We're planning our first trip to the Caribbean. We have a 14 yr old son and are looking for a place that he would enjoy also. The more I read, the more confused I get. Our son is interested in some water activities, i.e. scuba, etc. and the beach. I'm sure we will rent a car and discover the land so island safety and friendliness are a must. Any advice?
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 11:14 PM

Aruba seems like the right place for you - we have been there many times. Clean, safe, friendly people, and lots of activities, watersports etc. Excellent roads, easy to get around. Also, the climate is the best in the Caribbean, very stable the year round.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 05:04 AM

If he is interested in Scuba, then Cayman is your choice.... safe, friendly people, close to the US... and a top dive destination.

Research www.divecayman.ky and www.caymanislands.ky
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 08:08 AM

Coxumel has a reef recognized as one of the worlds best, second to the great Barrier reef and the Red sea.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 03:38 PM

The Caymans Islands have beautiful beaches, great snorkeling, even better diving and good restaurants.

My suggestion is to rent a condo close to a hotel such as Hyatt or Westin. That way you can walk right over and rent kayaks, waverunners, etc.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 07:37 PM

We are taking our 1st family trip to the Caribbean in May. We are staying in Negril Jamaica. Our other family members have been there & rave about the beach & say diving & water sports are great. They also say the Falls are a must see trip.

We aren't renting a car- trying to drive in a strange place is too stressful. We have set up a tour with a recommended local driver. Very reasonable.

Have fun wherever you wind up!