Wedding in Bermuda

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wedding in Bermuda

Hi-
I'm wondering if there is anyone that has held a wedding in Bermuda and can share their experiences? We're still researching places: Surf Side, 9 beaches, Elbow Beach, and Fourways Inn are are final 4, we're looking to make a decision asap. Has anyone had a small wedding at any of these locations? I'm only planning to have about 15 guests, very small and intimate. We're looking for a nice beach location that is beautiful, relaxing and laid back. We've never been to Bermuda before so looking at these places on the map doesn't help us figure out what the beaches are like, is there good surf, what are fun short activities around these hotels? We're only going to be there Thurs-Sun. Thanks for any suggestions or advice you might have!
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 05:20 AM

Fourways is the smallest property and the most intimate of the choices which you listed, but it is not beachfront. Only from a very limited number of spots on the property is there even a waterview. They do have lovely gardens and a first rate restaurant.
Please read TPatriccio's recent trip report about her stay at 9 Beaches. It is posted on this site.
Surfside is the most reasonably priced of your options. It is oceanfront, but the beach has been damaged by hurricanes and is not particularly large. The restaurant is mediocre.
Elbow Beach is a large resort with some gorgeous public spaces. It also has one of the largest prettiest beaches on Bermuda. The accomodations there are probably the most expensive on your list of options.
Bermuda is a pretty small place with an excellent public transportation system. The beaches are beautiful and clean. The surf is relatively calm, the reef breaks it up before it hits the beach. As to activities, click on my screenname and read the thread on favorite things to do in Bermuda.
Best wishes on your wedding.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 07:02 AM

I have been a guest at The Surfside for many years. True the beach comes and goes-but they do set the wedding service
by the pool. They do a lovely job,
and the view cannot be beat. Its very private, and charming. I also think
the restaurant is very very good. It was one of our top meals this past July.

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 07:59 AM

My husband and I were married right in front of the Sonesta Beach Hotel in 2002. Beautiful location. My photographs are awesome. We did not stay at this hotel though. We stayed at the Pompano Beach Club. Which was absolutely wonderful. I had never been to Bermuda before being married there and I decided to use a wedding planner and let them help me with locations/ photographer/ carriage ride, etc. I found my wedding planner on the Bermuda tourism website. I planned the entire thing online. The wedding planner I used was:

The Wedding Salon, LTD
(919) 217-4395

I don't know if they are still in business but it worth be worth a phone call. Her services were invaluable to me. She arranged the flower delivery to our room, wedding ceremony, carriage ride from the wedding location to our hotel by Bermuda Carriages and our photgrapher.

Also, I know the Sonesta was heavily damaged recently by a hurricane but hopefully the hotel has reopened. The beach location was perfect and there was a beautiful moongate for us to walk through after the ceremnoy. We had our picture taken under it and it is one of my favorite moongate pictures.

The Pompano Beach Club was a perfect honeymoon vacation and to this date the most beautiful place I have ever stayed. I absolutely loved the location and the grounds. The food was also delicious and the outside dining terrace was just amazing. This hotel also has a beautiful moongate for pictures. It's on the west side of the island so you will see beautiful sunsets there. One of the very reasons we chose that hotel.
I hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions for me. I know I'm not helping with the properties you mentioned and I apologize. I just know that you can't go wrong in Bermuda. The island is wonderful.
Congratulations!
Annika
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I would choose Elbow Beach. That is a very nice hotel with a great beach! I did not stay there, but was on their beach and grounds.
We like the Reefs, which would also be a great place and much smaller. The Fairmont Southampton is nice as well.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 09:00 AM

The old Sonesta, later Wyndham, has closed permanently. It is being razed and a fractional ownership/condo complex is going to be built in its place.
If you add other properties to the list you are considering, please post that. There are lots of Bermuda regulars who will be able to offer opinions.
Bermuda is another world!
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies! I read TPatriccio's 9Beaches review, hilarious, I think I would like it, but I don't think it's my parent's cup of tea. I think we are leaning towards Surf Side, they sound pretty low key and I guess I'll just have to take my chances with the beach situation. I've read it's close to other beaches, within walking distance? Random question: do polo shirts count as collared shirts (for restaurant requirements? Also, we plan to catch a taxi from airport, what is reasonable cost to Surf Side? Thanks very much.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 04:21 AM

Polo shirts count as collared shirts. A taxi will run you roughly $35.
Best wishes.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 04:10 PM

Have you looked into Coco Reef? It is right nextdoor to Elbow Beach (it is ON the same beach...) and it is more reasonably priced, much smaller (I think they only have about 60 rooms) and much more laid back than Elbow Beach. We got married there last summer,right on the beach, with about 40 guests and it was AWESOME!! The beach is definitely the best on the island, and even though Coco Reef Hotel doesn't have a ton of amenities, you can go right nextdoor if you want the whole spa/night club experience. I had friends that joined in on a yoga class being held on the beach in front of Elbow Beach Resort. Also, it's a short taxi ride into Hamilton (you'll find out very quickly that transportation gets very expensive on the island!) I highly recommend at least looking into it!